Banned

What would you do with these young trees

Got a few young trees that we neglected during the early summer when we had no rain. I finally started watering then and then lately we've had plenty of rain. Question is, would to trim the branches that don't seem to be budding. The first is a maple and the top is done, nothing growing. The second is a really young Japanese maple and I'm pissed myself for letting it go like I did. It looks like it might be coming back but i don't know.

Last edited by Bronzebackfive; 07-24-2016 at 02:00 PM.

2. Member
    I'm no expert by any means, but I would cut off the dead limbs, and go from there. I've done it lots of times and have seen no ill effects. I think you have a better chance of getting a good shape to the tree if you trim it. IMHO.
    1989 Hydra-Sports 17ft-6in. VS-150T
    Evinrude 150XP
    Hummingbird Electronics

3. Member
    I have 8 acres 7 of it is wooded and I have several trees of different species dying I contacted the forestry division they are coming out to take a look free of charge and offer suggestions. I know your situation is a little different but I would do my research cause there is a lot of dos and don'ts when it comes to what time of the year to trim a tree sometimes you do more harm then good.

4. Banned
    I would leave the maple alone till next spring and see what comes back before trimming it back or pulling it out.

Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    I would leave the maple alone till next spring and see what comes back before trimming it back or pulling it out.
    Yep, might be your best bet.

Trees will drop leaves during a drought period. The tree can only support a certain amount of leaves.

While they appear poorly now, they will recover in the next moist period or season. I suggest patience at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Trees will drop leaves during a drought period. The tree can only support a certain amount of leaves.

While they appear poorly now, they will recover in the next moist period or season. I suggest patience at this time.

Agree, give em a chance.
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

Terminal buds on the Jap maple look just fine...do not cut! Although it could use shaping for proper form.
    Other maple just wait until next spring once leaves have appeared.
    I am not delusional,
    I see all illusions!

9. Member
    Water well for the balance of this year and see what happens in the spring.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

10. Banned
    Alright, I'll keep my mitts off of them. I guess if the top of that maple don't bud next spring I'll trim it down

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    Water well for the balance of this year and see what happens in the spring.

12. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I would check with a Arborist, maybe a nursery , or your county can direct you to a free one for a opinion. They are alot of tree huggers and lovers out there. I love trees too but in a visual way... I have a dead top on my front Maple, I called in a tree service and he is going to give me a headup this week. I would water around the outside of the rootball, that is usually the same circumference as branches. I had a friend suggest I use some tree spikes(fertilizer-around the outside of the root ball). Your trees might be too young. I would have to say..You have NO tree thumb !! I would l ask a arborist for his opinion.

13. Member
    I would not cut until dormant. Keep them watered and I would fertilize them. The Japanese maple as mentioned looks like the terminal buds are still okay. I would build of on cutting any branches. The summer is when many pruned trees get fungi and insect damage.
    Praying for a Cure

14. Member
    I think you will find the first tree is SOl. The jap maple may bounce back next year. I would just wait and see. Just continue to water the cap out of them. Also may want to hit them with some root and grow feet in the fall. Most trees spend a lot of their energy in the first few years establishing roots. They may have decided to put more energy towards roots and dropped leaves. IMHO though when in drought and they drop leaves you have already missed the boat on keeping them truly healthy. Time will tell but I would suspect you will be pruning dead wood off in the spring.

15. Banned
    So the weather it's warming up here and things are blooming. The maples seem to be doing great. This Japanese maple on the other hand is not. As you can see, about half of it it not blooming, the main trunk on the right side. What to do?

16. Member
    You could prune back the part not doing well. If I really wanted a healthy tree there I would start over. I was always told that you can plant a tree any month with an R in it. So you have a few more days to get a new one started.
    GETFISHED !!!

17. Banned
    Wife went out to cut the dead off and said she's gonna wait because she thinks it's gonna come back to life