Viper Cobra transom reapair, any experience in removing top cap on a Cobra?

I am in the process of repairing/replacing the transom on a 201SC Cobra that was damaged in a towing incident and have a few questions before I get to far into the process. I had decided to use Seacast to pour a new transom but after starting to remove the old wood and finding additional issues I now am leaning towards replacing the transom with choosa board. My concern is in removing the top cap, I found that the top was attached to the hull with fiberglass strips along the back effectively bonding the two together. One of my questions, is there more of these connections around the top cap and if so how to access them to allow for the removal of the cap. I have removed the top cap on another bass boat years ago and did not run into anything like this, has anyone here removed the top on a Viper boat is this normal or possibly done at some point after the boat was damaged before this. I would really appreciate any information from anyone who has experience of one of these boats, I really love this old boat and would hate to see it not get repaired. Thanks for any advice you all my have.

Instead of removing the entire cap, perhaps you could look at cutting the cap and only removing the transom portion - gaining access to replace transom and rear portions of stringers/knee braces. Search this forum, you'll find a few threads where others have done this with great success.

3. Member
    Thanks CastingCall that's where I am at right now. I am a little unsure about cutting the top cap and making the repairs when I put it back on. At least on my boat there isn't much flake on that area only a small strip (3/8") of silver to repair and match. I have done enough fiberglass work in the past to be my own worst enemy, but I feel I can accomplish the repairs. I was intent on using the Seacast but it will be more of a challenge to remove 100% of the old wood than to just remove the transom and glass in a new one out of composite board. It is just so very hard to make that first cut to my boat, sounds silly I know hopefully it won't be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by smithwind View Post
    It is just so very hard to make that first cut to my boat, sounds silly I know hopefully it won't be so bad.
    Oh trust me, I know that feeling! Just prepping to install a pedal tray, glovebox, and cutting my console (and every other hole I've drilled in the boat), I had night sweats for days prior. lol
    You need to contact Super_dork and have him make the first cut. He is fearless with a sawzall!

Having been upside down in two Cobras now, it is my understanding that they are classed together at every point. Every front compartment is glassed to the floor all the way around which is glassed to the hull. More work in separating and rejoining the two than just cutting off the back section and reattaching. On top of that, I dare say they are "foam glued" together like rangers so it's kind of inseparable. Finish glass work in the back is kind of unavoidable in my opinion.

6. Member
    I think you are correct, my son and I both have Cobras and we really love the boats but this is no fun. I am in the process of cutting the top at the back to remove enough to reinstall the transom everything looks great except the transom it's self. The previous owner had drilled a number of holes in the transom for some reason and apparently it had gotten wet some time ago. My accident was just the finally straw it seems I sure it won't be all that bad but I sure hate having to do it.

The good news is, you have no where to go but up. Sounds like the boat would be junked otherwise... so if you can get the transom repaired and cap re-attached, you'll have salvaged a great hull! Good luck and post pics of your progress please.

8. Member
    I will start taking photos when I get back to the project later this week and document the whole process if possible. Never happens in perfect conditions, you know blue skies and 70deg, only when it is 103 in the shade here in Central Texas. Nothing like being covered in fiberglass while sweating to point of dehydration, makes it hard to get motivated to get started.

9. Member
    Mine isn't a cobra but I did cut the back cap off of my Stratos and it turned out good. Check the link in my signature. Lots of pics for reference.
    1993 Stratos 280 SF
    1993 Johnson 150 Sliver Star

Reel Peachy - 1993 Stratos Transom Rebuild Project

10. Member
    Thanks super dork I have already look at your project and will take another look. Other projects like yours makes this a little less intimidating for sure, kind of waiting for a little cooler weather to get here in Central Texas before I dive in too deep.