Eliminating VRO pump 1993 J150GLET

The VRO pump scares the crap out of me on these older motors. I remember way too many blown pistons and scored cylinders when the VRO first came out. Anyway I have 1993 Johnson 150 fast Strike J150GLET
    I want to eliminate the vro and mix my gas oil in the tank my boat has a 40 gallon tank. I'm heading to Canada next week and plan on doing a lot of running. What do I need to do other than obviously removing the oil line and plugging it? I just bought the boat last fall and don't have many hours on it myself, the motor was rebuilt in 2004 I assume a vro problem. It runs good now but I don't want to take a chance.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Plug the oil line, disconnect the harness and remove completely. Cap the oil inlet on the pump and disconnect the harness for the VRO mix at a 50:1 ratio going forward. Otherwise it will be a guesstimate on adding oil to your existing fuel level in the tank. The early VRO pumps did have issues as they were a three wire system the new pumps are a 4 wire system and monitor both tach pulses and vacuum pulses to drive the pump, should there be an issue with the oil side the pump will over oil instead. The system monitors both No Oil and Low Oil condition.
    Here is a little light reading for you. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

3. Member
    Ok I just did a search I probably should have done it before posting. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ht=eliminating

Anyway now I am thinking maybe I should just leave the vro alone. I did read in the thread link that they came out with a newer style vro better for ethanol gas, how do I know what vro pump I have? The motor was said to have been rebuilt in 2004. My old boat was a 1985 Ranger with a 115 Merc so I know all about mixing gas and oil, I have been doing it for 20 years, yes it is a pita.