Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fat Ika vs Senko

Hey does anyone have any experience testing out Fat Ikas vs Senkos from Yamamoto? Buddy of mine suggested trying the Ikas for under docks and shore structure as they will outperform Senkos almost every time. What do you think guys?

Dan

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I've never used a fat Ika, but I've also never seen a situation where a Senko won't catch them. And aggressive fish under a dock? Forget about it. They will hammer a Senko.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I've never used a fat Ika, but I've also never seen a situation where a Senko won't catch them. And aggressive fish under a dock? Forget about it. They will hammer a Senko.
    I think the idea is that if you're not that great at skipping under docks or if the dock is flush with the water, the fat ika will actually fall away from you like the flying lures would, just not as dramatically. My experience is like yours... if there's a bass under there and you throw the Senko, they'll hammer it.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If skipping and falling away is your goal, put a small nail in the tail of your Senko. Skips even better and glides right away from you.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    I use both frequently and they both produce.

6. Banned
    Fat Ikas are my favorite dock fishing bait. They are heavy enough to cast well in the wind and skip insanely well.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    Fat Ikas are my favorite dock fishing bait. They are heavy enough to cast well in the wind and skip insanely well.
    Agreed here...fat ikas are so easy to skip

I'll have to pick up a pack and give them a shot. You're reverse rigging them right?

9. Member
    I've used fat Ika's and I have liked them. The jackal Cover craw is almost the same thing but it has the craw pinchers instead of the skirt on the end. But like others have said the senkos are still a go to they work everywhere and pretty much all year round.
    2017 Phoenix 919 ProXP 225 Mercury ProXS

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    I'll have to pick up a pack and give them a shot. You're reverse rigging them right?
    correct. I use a 3/0 or 4/0 EWG

11. Member
    4/0 or 5/0 owner twistlock work very well rigging the hook slightly off the center closer to the side does well for me.

12. Member
    I like ikas/palm trees a little bit.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post

aaaaaannnnddddd that's where all of overstock baits palm trees went. I bet the "QuakeNShake clause" was added to their online ordering and is why they won't let me order more than 6 bangs of PsychoDads in the same color at a time.

14. Member
    Not easy to set the hook with the ika but it's gets bit like a champ . I use a 5/0 owner twistlock , if anyone can give me some tips on a better hook up ratio I would appreciate it lol.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    Not easy to set the hook with the ika but it's gets bit like a champ . I use a 5/0 owner twistlock , if anyone can give me some tips on a better hook up ratio I would appreciate it lol.
    Beat me to it. Hook up and land ratio is problematic with Ika's, I would much rather throw a Senko for this reason.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    aaaaaannnnddddd that's where all of overstock baits palm trees went. I bet the "QuakeNShake clause" was added to their online ordering and is why they won't let me order more than 6 bangs of PsychoDads in the same color at a time.
    I actually do believe it was because of me ordering these. Right after I made these purchases they changed the limit. I bought all I could of the watermelon chartreuse. Then bought some chartreuse skirts and a bunch more to add the skirts to.
    Last edited by QUAKEnSHAKE; 07-24-2016 at 10:23 PM.

17. Member
    I had horrible hook-up % with three different Owner style hooks stopped using them. I really like Gamakatsu DeepThroat 4/0 and braid works much better than stretchy fc line.

These
    Last edited by QUAKEnSHAKE; 07-24-2016 at 10:53 PM.

18. Member
    Thanks for the tips ! I will pick up a few packs of the deep throat wide gap . The last question I have for you is after rigging the ika do you peg the eye so it doesn't slide down or do you not do that because it affects the hooks set ? .

Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post

LOL Holy shnikes!

20. Member
    Thanks for the tips ! I will pick up a few packs of the deep throat wide gap . The last question I have for you is after rigging the ika do you peg the eye so it doesn't slide down or do you not do that because it affects the hooks set ? .
    No I dont peg the eye. The bait needs to move somewhere on a hookset otherwise it just gets torn more easily. Which leads me to another point get some MEND-IT to fix these when they do tear you will get lots more use out of them and will pay for itself long term on these and other soft plastics like keithech paddle tails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast