Stratos floor repair?

I have a 93 275 pro xl. The floor is a little spongy on the port side at the rear, right where it meets the upright front of the platform that the seats are bolted to (above the gas tank). Doesn't seem to be spongy anywhere else down there.

Is the floor of this boat plywood or fiberglass? What is necessary to repair it? I don't have any kind of specialized tools, not do I have experience with fiberglass. But, I'm willing to learn, and I have some friends that do automotive body work for a living, so I could always enlist some help I guess.

The rest of the boat is in good working order and fair to good condition. The hull could use a bit of marinetex on the keel, and there are a couple gouges that could use some marinetex as well. But it floats, and it goes. Not trying to restore it to its former glory, just keep it functional for many more years of inexpensive use.

Is this something I should try to do myself? Anyone have any info about this, or what may need to be done? I tried googling, and I can't really come up with any info..

Thanks!

2. Member
    I have a 96 Stratos 285. I bought it last June. The floor was bad. I took a chainsaw to it. It's plywood covered in fiberglass. Most people will recommend a "cap off" redo, which I know is the correct way, but I decided to do mine with a an overlay. I left an inch or so around the floor, got rid of all the wet foam, shimmer up the stringers, and layer down a treated plywood, then glassed over it.

If you dont remove the top cap youll overstress the edge joints and nothing you do will keep it from going out again real fast. Do it once.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyp View Post
    I have a 96 Stratos 285. I bought it last June. The floor was bad. I took a chainsaw to it. It's plywood covered in fiberglass. Most people will recommend a "cap off" redo, which I know is the correct way, but I decided to do mine with a an overlay. I left an inch or so around the floor, got rid of all the wet foam, shimmer up the stringers, and layer down a treated plywood, then glassed over it.
    ^^ I'd use this approach, from what you've described as your goal (get it usable, not a garage queen).
    Peel off the carpet, start cutting the soft floor from the center out until you reach dry wood. Best case, it works and is usable! Worst case, you end up having to take the cap off.

take awhile but search on here BBC BASS Boat Restoration, may have to go back a few yrs, but there was ones that redone floors with pics and what was used etc. I had some saved but since BBC had a Host Problem last year, and a PC crash of mine lost the links..

6. Member
    1993 Stratos Javelin 360 A (?): single console: 90 hp johnson (not original): Lowrance Hook 7: Hanswing trolling motor: 3 bank batteries. I repairing the deck now and does anybody have a owners manual for this type or year boat? I need a wiring schematic also. Any boat repair experts, The center line on this boat is raised like a tube and the wedge at the front has rotted out between the hull and the fiberglass. Can I remove this rotted wood and replace it and stuff resin soaked mat in? That tube has a hole about 4 inches from the start on the starboard side about 1 inch in diameter. It has wood in it, but I think it's debris. Now this channel looks like it goes the length of the hull and is between the boat drain and the livewell intake at the stern. But I don't know.