Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

Merc 150 4s question

I have this motor on a Lund 1875 Impact. Engine is a 2014. I rarely run WOT and wonder if this is somehow a disservice to the engine. Most of my cruising is at 4000 rpm. Great performance and good gas mileage at this speed. For good engine health, how much should I run over 5000 rpm.

thanks

2. Member
    You need to air that thing out every once in a while! At my home lake, I run about like you do, but I open it up and let it eat on the way back to the ramp, probably 5 minutes tops. You won't see much change in your gas usage. Love my 4 stroke!

Don

3. Member
    I have the same boat & motor I open it up every time out for a short time but mostly cruise at 3500 rpm it definitely won't hurt to run her wide open sometimes.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor