Updating Maps Question

Here is my situation

I have a 73sv with map version dated last year. I just purchased a Chirp 93sv and an Lakevu Ultra Card The installed maps on the 93sv are the most recent version. I downloaded the maps from the 93sv to a SD card. I took that card and then put it in the 73sv and was hoping to update the maps that way. It does not seem to see the maps on the card and cant find an option to download from the card.

I checked user date option and the only file it recognized was waypoints that I also have saved on the card. I then took the card and viewed it in Homeport to verify that the maps actually downloaded which they did.

Any Ideas?? Thanks

2. Member
    Downloaded maps are meant to be viewed in Homeport. They are not meant to be updates for other units.
    Since your 73sv is relatively new, you can get a free map update from garmin to update the 73sv. The map updates are not a full replacement, but the new/updated lakes since the previous version (with the software to perform the update).
    Go to the Garmin site and request the update (the units need to be registered with garmin, so make sure you do that first). From your garmin account you can download the updates to a micro sd card. You could also call customer support and they may be able to send you the updates on a card also.
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

3. Member
    Maps are locked to a particular unit. You won't be able to share them between your two chartplotters.
    I recently updated my map in my 73SV, I tried the download version twice and couldn't get it to work.
    After talking to customer service, Garmin sent me an update on a micro SD card and it loaded right up.
    Ranger RT188 (2015)
    Mercury Optimax ProXS 115, 4" Setback Plate
    Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 iPilot 70lb
    Garmin 73SV @ Helm, 93SV Chirp @ Bow

4. Member
    Thanks guys

5. Member
    Called Garmin customer support and the lady i talked with was great They are sending me an update card. She did say that I would have to leave the sd card in the unit for it to work and that you can not download to the unit itself That definitely stinks but ohh well the new maps are a huge improvement on my lake.

6. Member
    Check this thread:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=723774

They should be able to send you a card that just does the update so that you DONT have to leave it in the sd slot all the time. Check the posts from Todd.
    Last edited by Larry3215; 07-15-2016 at 08:29 AM.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

7. Member
    thanks I will post over in that thread

8. Member
    Everyone I talked to at Garmin just wanted to send me the card and they would not send a card with just the updates, it was the full version of the maps, which you would have to leave in the unit. Even though I was do a free update because it was within a year of when I purchased my 73sv and 93sv, they all told me that the updates were not available in a card. I finally paid for the update, and it was attached to my Garmin account. I then downloaded it to an SD card and installed it on 73sv unit. I then called Garmin and told them that it worked and I wanted the update for my 93sv and I wanted it as a download attached to my account. They attached another update to my account and I downloaded that one and loaded it to my 93sv. I am now waiting to be reimbursed for the one I purchased since it should have been free and the CSR said he would give me a credit.

9. Member
    Sounds like someone from Garmin CS needs to advise their people how to handle this simple solution! Good grief this sounds like a really F'd up situation that should be much easier to resolve. It seems that the people here (Todd for one) has a better handle on the situation than those that are employed by Garmin to assist in these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by fishintroop View Post
    Everyone I talked to at Garmin just wanted to send me the card and they would not send a card with just the updates, it was the full version of the maps, which you would have to leave in the unit. Even though I was do a free update because it was within a year of when I purchased my 73sv and 93sv, they all told me that the updates were not available in a card. I finally paid for the update, and it was attached to my Garmin account. I then downloaded it to an SD card and installed it on 73sv unit. I then called Garmin and told them that it worked and I wanted the update for my 93sv and I wanted it as a download attached to my account. They attached another update to my account and I downloaded that one and loaded it to my 93sv. I am now waiting to be reimbursed for the one I purchased since it should have been free and the CSR said he would give me a credit.