Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Garmin Quickdraw Community Information Resource

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fi...ty-icast-2016/

In conjunction with ICAST 2016, Garmin is pleased to announce Quickdraw Community, a free online user-generated platform where users can share and browse HD mapping content, and download the data free of charge to enhance and supplement existing Garmin mapping options. The Quickdraw Community builds on the success of the company’s Quickdraw Contours software feature – a free, easy-to-use tool that lets mariners instantly create personalized HD maps with 1-foot contours on any body of water – allowing users to easily and quickly share and upload the best data available.

Garmin customers have been collecting Quickdraw Contours mapping and depth data on their devices since the free software feature became available earlier this year, and now they have a way to easily share that data with others. Not only is Quickdraw (Contours and Community) free and easy to use, but thanks to Garmin Panoptix™ all-seeing sonar technology, it’s the only map sharing platform to use multi-beam sonar recordings for high quality, accurate and complete HD contours.

Creating Quickdraw Contours data is powerfully simple. Once it’s turned on, users will instantly see contours with labels generated right on the screen as the boat moves – unlike competitor products, there’s no waiting around or sending the files in for remote processing, nor is there a fee to keep the data private or to share it with others. The results are instant and accurate, and can be viewed in real-time, or created in the background for use at a later time. For the most comprehensive coverage, Quickdraw Contours clearly shows where usable depth information has been collected and where gaps exist, so users can easily see what still needs to be collected.

The collected data can be stored on any off-the-shelf SD or microSD card, as well as existing Garmin BlueChart g2, BlueChart g2 Vision and LakeVü HD Ultra cards. To upload, download or browse collected Quickdraw Contours data, users will need to create an account through Garmin Connect, a free online community already utilized by millions of Garmin customers who use the platform to share, track, and analyze data from other Garmin devices.

Learn how to share your Quickdraw Contours maps in Quickdraw Community on Garmin Connect:

Data can be uploaded through a “Marine Profile” in Garmin Connect, and once uploaded, will typically be available on the web for download within 24 hours. With the intuitive map interface, users can easily locate and see the data shared by other users within the community overlaid on the applicable body of water. Available user-generated data can be easily downloaded from Garmin Connect to a microSD/SD card for use with a compatible Garmin chartplotter, and can be viewed simultaneously with a user’s personal Quickdraw Contours data on a chartplotter.

Bassmaster Elite Series pro Jason Christie talks about Quickdraw Contours:

The Garmin Quickdraw Community on Garmin Connect is available now at garminconnect.com/quickdraw. Quickdraw Contours comes standard on all echoMAP® CHIRP products, and is available as a free software update for all other echoMAP and many GPSMAP® series products. It can be used with any depth transducer, including Garmin Panoptix, HD-IDTM, DownVü, and NMEA 2000 transducers. To learn more, visit garmin.com/marine2016.

Follow Garmin Fish & Hunt on social media for videos, tips from pros and articles to help you become a better angler.

Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 07-13-2016 at 10:38 AM. Reason: OP wanted title changed

2. Member
    Im going to get signed up. Im hoping there are other Garmin folks mapping some of my favorite local lakes that have limited or no contour data.

It will be interesting to see how well this works though. I have my doubts about merging data from different users - most of whom will have no clue how to calibrate/set their offsets. It will be especially challenging on bodies of water with depth changes.

We will see....

Thanks for posting this Troy.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Member
    Troy - should we start a new thread to discuss Details/Tips/Tricks/Problems/Questions/etc on using this or continue here in this thread?

4. Banned
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...community-free

dont really matter...either way works i guess. i'll get the title edited

I was surprised to see there are already some maps uploaded. I simply signed in with my existing garmin login

Last edited by TroyBoy30; 07-12-2016 at 10:05 AM.

5. Member
    I think I'll start a new one.

6. Banned
    i just put in the request for a title change

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Title has been changed.

I'm gonna have to change over to Garmin....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    Oops - missed your posts!

I'll delete mine.

9. Banned
    thank you Sir

10. Member
    So far the website is pretty easy to use.

I uploaded a couple of my QD recordings and they are showing up already. There are several others in the US now and a bunch in Europe.

Just to try it out, I downloaded a couple of the maps from areas where there were already contours - one in Kansas and one in Florida in a tidal area. It was easy to up-load them to my 7610 and they show up just fine when I have QD turned on.

I will post some comparison screen shots a little later.

It will be more interesting down the road to see how this works when several different people have recordings of the same lake that overlap. Im still concerned about how changes in water level will effect things. Im also wondering how it will work when people have different offset settings - Recording Offset, Display Offset and Keel Offset.

Im still not clear on exactly how those all work together and effect the recordings and I doubt most people even know they exist.

11. Member
    Been looking into this for quite a while. Few questions

1) How do people agree on what the reference water level should be? Certainly not based on GPS elevation reading since vertical error in consumer gps is quite huge. A lot of water body doesn't have official measuring points either, especially outside of USA.

2) Can the user access the raw data? Is it stored in NMEA/gpx format? (i.e Older humminbirds appended depth data to NMEA strings, which later can be used to draw 3d topography)

thanks..

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mosin View Post
    Been looking into this for quite a while. Few questions

1) How do people agree on what the reference water level should be? Certainly not based on GPS elevation reading since vertical error in consumer gps is quite huge. A lot of water body doesn't have official measuring points either, especially outside of USA.

2) Can the user access the raw data? Is it stored in NMEA/gpx format? (i.e Older humminbirds appended depth data to NMEA strings, which later can be used to draw 3d topography)

thanks..
    1) Right now the only way to get even close to that is IF the user knows what they are doing and first checks for the official reference water level and then sets the correct offsets when they make the original recording. Then the person downloading the recording would need to change their display offsets to match PLUS make adjustments for any changes in water level since the original recording was made. All of that assumes there is an official reference water level.

Unfortunately, there is no way to check any of that in the current website.

The other option is to boat to an area on the downloaded map and check the depth readout on your sounder. Then adjust your offsets so that the depth readings match the Quickdraw numbers. Unfortunately, that is just as likely to make your depth readings for other areas of that lake to be off - I think.

2) Not as far as I know. I suppose that could change in the future.
    Last edited by Larry3215; 07-13-2016 at 10:07 AM.

13. Member
    It seems to me that, at least for the near future, we are going to have to treat QD maps we download as a rough guide only and not count on the depth readings to be very close. They may well be just fine but they may also be off quite a bit.

Think positive and realize that any QD map is going to be better than no map :)

14. Banned

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    So can you download one map to a card and swap between units??? For lowrance, you can only use that one map for a particular unit BUT can can be shared across ethernet.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

16. Member
    Havent tried that. Im guessing you could use it in any Garmin that has the QD software on it. At worst, you might have to copy the file to that units SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    So can you download one map to a card and swap between units??? For lowrance, you can only use that one map for a particular unit BUT can can be shared across ethernet.
    Yes, a card with QD contours will work with all QD-compatible MFDs. QD cards aren't tied to a specific MFD. Similarly, QD contours can also be copied and used on other cards. QD contours are also shared with Ethernet-linked units.
    Garmin Pro Team

18. Member
    I just realized there is no link in this thread to the actual website. Here is where you get signed up.

https://connect.garmin.com/en-US/sta...aw?zebratwo=CJ

After you are signed up you can go here:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/

19. Member
    Here are a couple of screen captures for two different QD maps I downloaded to play with. There are even more new maps today.

The first one is Hillsdale Lake a little SW of Kansas City. Its already an HD map from Garmin, so there are existing 1ft contours for the lake. You can see the differences in the two screen shots of the area covered by the QD map. Its actually fairly close. It looks to me like there are depth differences on the order of about 4 ft or so and the bottom details are not the same, but not that far off either.

The second one is a tidal area in south Florida near Miami Beach. The main thing to note there is that bridges and land features get over drawn.

Attached Images Attached Images

I tried the Quickdraw Community feature this evening for the first time. Only one other lake in my area had been shared at this point, but it was one that I haven't fished yet. Was easy to download and add to my SD card.

I shared the mapping I had done on 6 lakes so far. Uploaded easily and was showing up on their map screen within 10 minutes. I only wish that it allowed me to select which lakes to share. I would have like to have kept some of those lakes secret. :)

Great new feature. Garmin continues to impress and I have no regrets choosing the my echoMap 53dv over the Helix 5.

I wish Garmin would add a feature that would send you a notification if someone uploads maps to a lake within "x" miles of your zip code.
    Last edited by Kayaker; 07-16-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast