Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Another case for having access to the recorded data (gpx/nmea etc), I find it quite awkward to see contour line drawn perpendicular to the shore line..

Also, Garmin should implement some way to designate a certain track (which represents a contour line) as the shore line. If we are going to map an unknown lake, it certainly helps to have the shoreline available first. This shoreline tracing can be generated from a lot of available satellite imagery, which then can be used as a rough shoreline of our target lake. For what it's worth...

2. Member
    I agree on every point.

In addition to it covering up shoreline, having it cover up things like bridges, bouys, known hazards, etc that are on underlying maps, is not good. It would be great to have a way for those to show through.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

Is there a way to adjust the contour lines to be different unit eg) 5' instead of 1' ?

4. Member
    I dont think so.

A question for those with more experience then me using QuickDraw....

I am mapping a private 75 acre lake designed with lots of structure, like humps, ledges , long points etc... I had filled in all the gaps, have a pretty decent map.... although I have found two more humps, about the size of a truck... depths range from 10-14' off the sides, rising to 2'-5' on top. I have gone back and forth over these humps numerous times, cris crossing from every direction.... the problem I have is that my map is not updating. It is only showing a relatively flat bottom.

Does Quickdraw not update once the basic map is filled in with no gaps?
    Do I need to dump this data and start from scratch, making sure I hit these points?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

6. Member
    What do you mean not updating? My maps get over drawn when I go back over them as long a recording is ON.

Keep in mind too that things you see in sideview wont show up. Its only things directly in the 2D cone. In shallow water that coverage is going to be very narrow on the bottom, so something just to the side of the boat will be missed.

Thanks Larry,

that was my understanding as well, that my chart would update/overwrite.... as long as I was recording.
    I just went back out, I double checked that I was recording, then spent 30 minutes cross crossing back and forth, across this underwater hump/island, from deep to shallow, and back to deep and again.... from multiple directions. I made passes that were about 50 yards long and about 5' parallel to each other. Then after the passes showed no change in depth on my depth finder, I switched the direction of my passes 90 degrees and repeated the process. I even circled the hump at various depths.
    Net result....No change in contours on my chart..... the contours that are on my chart run parallel to the bank which is 75 yards away.

One other hump that I recorded on the first day out did record the hump but only minimally....it tops out at 8' on the chart, up from the surrounding 12', when in fact the top is only 3' deep.

I checked my offsets....all were zeroed.
    I'm using a 73SV
    My transducer is just under the surface, getting a good signal, Traditional and downscan are marking schools of baitfish and larger fish as well. Side view working sweet....marking anything and everything.

Thanks again any and all input.

JD
    USAF Retired

8. Member
    So you're saying the depth numbers on the sonar page show your going over a shallow hump, but the QD recording on the chart page shows a different depth or no change in depth at all?

Is there a green circle around the boat icon on the chart view when you are recording?

Im not sure what could be causing your issue unless there is no green circle. If there isnt a green circle, then you should probably check the GPS settings and make sure the correct transducer is shown on the sonar page.

Oh - have you up-dated the software yet? If not, do that for sure. Next step would be to try a factory re-set. That can fix odd behavior.

Thanks again Larry,

yep, that's exactly what's happening....depth change on the finder, but no corresponding change on the QD chart.
    I am getting a good steady green circle.
    Just did the software update a little bit ago.... will test that tomorrow. If that fails I'll do the reset.

Thanks for the assist.
    USAF Retired

10. Member
    If neither one of those works, time to call customer support. Its probably some setting Ive forgotten about :)

11. Banned
    some new resources to check out

1) How to DOWNLOAD Maps from Quickdraw Community: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fi...min-quickdraw/

2) How to UPLOAD maps to Quickdraw Community: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fi...raw-community/

Good stuff Troy...
    I guess it is time for tech support...I've updated the software....I've reset the system, went back to map the humps with no luck. I can see contour lines already in place are shifting/updating but it seems as though no new contours are added... i.e. The humps coming up out of 10-14' to less then 3-4'. The old contours are there but no changes where I've made multiple passes from all directions....I even tightened up my passes to within a couple of feet of each other.
    USAF Retired

When you download a QD mapped area can you give the map it's own name? So if I download multiple areas can I select which one to use at any given time? Or are all downloaded maps saved under one generic name. Does my unit have the ability to recognize multiple file names for QD maps?
    Last edited by jbird68; 04-22-2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Grammar
    jbird68

Morrison, IL

2006 Alumacraft Navigator 165 CS
    2006 90 HP Mercury Optimax
    80# Minn-Kota Terrova w/ iPilot

Nobody? I just updated to latest software but I still don't know how to add quick draw contours that I have downloaded. What is the file supposed to be named and where do you store it on the SD card? Apparently there is no file system to select different areas. The only thing I can see is the file I named "My Contours".
    jbird68

Morrison, IL

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Not sure if this answers your question but when I'm on a new lake and start the QD contours it gives mes a choice to name it. Now I'll have to look and see where it's saves it on the card.

Also post your question below, you will get more traffic there vs. on the stickies above.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I think I figured it out. I thought I could download the files and create a new folder on my SD card to place the maps inside. Apparently I can't do that. The .qcc files need to be in the first garmin folder on the card. I can download them and rename them for each lake. As long as they are in the main garmin folder they show up with a cyan colored box around the area as you are scanning your map. The only thing I noticed is that they didn't seem to be very detailed. Maybe it's because the maps I downloaded were not completely covered maps but just a few paths someone did. I really want to make use of the quick draw community but there just isn't a lot of maps for the places I fish that aren't already covered in the pre-installed Garmin maps.
    Still need to do more playing around to get confidence I'm doing it right.
    jbird68

Morrison, IL

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Got out today and mapped an area of the local river with QD.....for the ones that use QD you may have noticed that the contours along the banks will be perpendicular to the bank which is not correct.....while mapping figured out a little trick that will help out some.......i trolled parallel to the bank as shallow as i could get, then once i was done around the banks i start graphing perpendicular to the banks and as i would do that it would adjust most of the contours to be parallel like they should......there will still be some areas where contours will be perpendicular but thats just the nature of the beast.

Here are some screen shots of what i'm talking about.....

Here is a gap that was filling, as you can see the perpendicular contours are along a rock revetment.

After QD fills the gap it pushes the contours closer to the bank and places them parallel.

Last edited by fishin couillon; 09-16-2018 at 08:58 PM.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

18. Member
    I tried the Quickdraw community and did a download of two local lakes. I put on card, inserted into my 840xs nothing, it I turn on the 840 and put the card in slot one, I see Memory card 1 and to the right Manage user data or copy built in map, confused and dont know next few steps?????

19. Member
    uploaded my lake quik draw, when I select a area to download to sd card, screen goes to programing language and never down loads.what am I doing wrong?

20. Member
    Sorry it seems I left the message in the wrong place. Correct me if I am wrong.

I use Gramin 95sv plus+ Panoptix ps22. I have a micro SD for Quickdraw contours with the map I produced for about 2 years. Unfortunately it seems the disk was broken one time I was copying the map into the SD. Can anyone tell me how can I find the Quickdraw contour I recorded? Would it be possible still in the Garmin Homeport I used?

The point is the Macbook is not able to read the SD now. There is no way for me to find if the data is still there. However, I noticed there is a "Garmin backup" folder in the Macbook. The "Quickdraw" folder is 650MB.

I have bought a new SD and it is on the way. Hopefully I can get my Quickdraw contours back. Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bassun; 10-20-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast