changing battery

i changed one of my batteries on my boat now nothing i hooked the wires back except the aerator and i have no dash lights no bilge pump and that worked last week no courtesy light no lighted switches when i turned the master switch on the motor would not crank,only sound was when you turn the start switch it whistle like is to do. what happen or what should i look into

2. Member
    sounds like you missed some wire connections to the new battery

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

Like scuba said, start at the battery... last thing touched is probably first thing to go wrong:
    Are all connections hooked to proper battery terminals?
    Note: If you're using wing nuts, ditch them and put stainless nuts/washers on instead - and tighten them securely with a wrench.
    Now start working forward -
    Is there a master switch or breaker in the bilge that's off or tripped?
    Is there a master fuse or breaker near the dash?
    From there track down individual circuits/fuses/breakers/switches.
    But the fact that nothing is working - I'd say battery connections also.

4. Member
    Should be two main sets of wires. Big 4g ones that go to motor(short usually) and then a set of 16g (red and black). These would be normal if nothing else has been done to boat. Yours could be different.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

5. Member
    there are two 4g ones to the motor and there are 2 16's also from what is labeled it says troll 2 i have some like that on my other battery that say troll 1 i do have three red switches by my battery that says trolling battery 1 trolling battery 2 motor battery i never touched them. under the dash there is no fuse block like you would see in a car. the fuses i did find are like inline fuses i did check them and they look ok took them out and put back. the switch on the dash can i use a jumper to see if anything comes on like pump or so.

6. Member
    Try turning the motor red switch on and off a few times. That is the switch that turns on the power to my pumps, etc.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

7. Member
    i replaced the lug on the positive side cable,took my ohm meter and check the ends to the starter and i have power to the starter. then i checked the switches on the back side of them troll 1 i have power,troll 2 i haves power then on my motor switch i have nothing before or after the switch. by the starter there is one fuse that i did check and i have connection through the fuse is there any other fuse on the motor i should look at? i am thinking that there is a problem from the motor to the switch would that be right and if so what to look for.

8. Member
    You need power to the motor switch. Sounds like a wire has not been connected to the motor battery. Check to make sure you have all the wires connected to the motor battery. You have three batteries, the one by itself is the motor battery. Starboard or driver side should is the motor battery on my boat.
    One more thing, make sure to clean all the terminals on the lugs and and battery. Just helped a guy and that was his problem. Use a wire brush the size on a toothbrush to make them shine.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

9. Member
    ^^^^^^^this
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD

10. Member
    ok i have power now. but my bilge is not working it was before,i think there is a short somewhere there is one wire on the back of the switch that gets real warm i guess i need to chase that wire down to see where the problem is. my motor still does not do anything could i blown a fuse somewhere i tried to make sure it is in neutral the kill switch i moved out and in any ideas what next

11. Member
    What motor do you have?
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD

12. Member
    evinrude intruder 150 v6 spitfire series

13. Member
    On my evinrude xp, In the main harness of motor under hood is an inline fuse holder. This caused no tilt/trim and no fire conditions.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD