Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 Legend Alpha 211

I purchased a 2013 Legend Alpha 211 dual console in late 2015. It came rigged with the normal 250 Optimax with an upgraded Atlas 10 hydraulic jack plate. The prop seems to be of the standard 25 pitch that comes with the boat/motor package new. The boat is awesome when it comes to organized storage and stability while fishing and cuts through the rough stuff like butter. It is maxed out with almost every option right down to the 20" wheels and tires on the trailer. Everywhere I go, people are in awe.....all of this is great! However...I have two areas of major concern. I am wondering if any of you Legend owners have experienced similar handling issues...One of them is that the boat is a dog out of the hole when the gas tank is full. The bow rises for over 6 seconds before it comes down and gets on plane. This is with the motor tucked all the way in. I have tried many different elevations on the jack plate and they don't make much of an improvement with an average setting of 5 on the gauge for best performance. The other issue is that the boat seems to "grab" hard at 55 mph to 65 mph when starting to go into a gradual turn...very gradual..not like the u tube stuff! It seems as if the boat does not like to be trimmed up and wants to porpoise if I am running any slower than 50 mph. I have noticed that the last hull line has a harsh curve in it. I presume that this has something to do the the handling...not sure. Am I not trimmed up enough for my speed??? Is the curve catching the water as the boat starts to turn?? It makes me have to be ready for the surprise "grab" each time with a firm grip on the steering wheel and my passengers feel it too. This condition makes me nervous and freaks my wife out every time as she is intimidated by the boats size to begin with...I can't even talk her into driving it! I am not not a stranger to custom bass boats either. I have owned boats all of my adult life. My last one was a 20 ft. Big O, with a 225 ho e tech. I ran this boat for years at speeds of up to 78 mph with no issues as described above. I thought (and still hope) that I was buying the boat of my dreams here...Help??? Thanks, Ed

2. Member
    Need to know what prop you have. Also sounds like engine height is not right you need to physically measure your prop to pad height.
    Nitro z21

3. Member
    Jason, Thanks for your input..The prop is a Mercury Fury 25 pitch..all vent holes are empty on the prop....I have a hydraulic jack plate 10" Atlas with a gauge..it seems to do best at #5...just as the dealer had said that I bought it from...I have tried pretty much all settings for height as far as the hole shot goes...it gets worse in each direction higher or lower than #5/#6. As far as the "grab" thing goes at the start of a turn...I am usually at #5/#6/or #7 All of these settings are middle of availability. It does not seem to matter it does this throughout the spectrum of height. How would I measure prop to pad when I can vary it at the touch of a button with no salvation for either issue? I can see this as a must to determine where the jack plate sits for optimum speed (top end)...Comments please! Respectfully, Ed

4. Member
    A search will reveal the process to measure. If you want to keep the fury id look into adding extra vents and get some full and medium plugs for it. Hows your weight distribution on the boat? If you get extra vents start with one extra open vent and plug the rest of the new
    Nitro z21

5. Member
    I am most certainly not married to the Fury...as most comments are the same for it on this boat/motor set up. What a shame on both parts..Merc and Legend...for the money I would go ahead and order a new custom built Big -O if I had it to do over again. What prop do you recommend over all others ? whats another 5 -7 hundred bucks..

6. Member
    I have 2016 211, had the same problem out of the hole. They switched me out for a 24 fury. Comes out of the hole really good now, still getting 73.5 2 people fully loaded. I have a porposing problem arond 2-3 thousand rpm, been waiting2 months for the factory to call me! You should have stayed with a Big I !!!
    Johnny Legend
    2018 Legend V21
    Mercury Verado 350
    Greensburg, Indiana
    and
    Burkesville, Kentucky

2014 211R 250 XS with 26 Furry. I have ran with 1 vent open and 2 medium or large vents from the factory, I recently pulled one more vent out but it has not made much of a difference. Best advise I can give is run with a light load... Once I'm up the 26" will carry any load I throw in there.

When the new 4 blade furry hits the ground it may be something to check out.

EDW I'm running the exact same set up all the way down to the prop. Solo it jumps up quick no matter if live wells are full or not, but when I have a partner and live well is full its sluggish getting up. I fish a lot of shallow water and my solution was to put my weight (tool box, plastics) forward in the center storage, jack my plate all the way up and have my partner sit on center storage when getting on step. I can run my boat as slow as 19 MPH without porposing and only experience the bite at high speeds making right turns.
    I will say this, I believe the 2013 211DC is the driest boat ever made by legend. I had a 07 LE21 and spent last weekend in a V20 and both were wet riding boats.

10. Member
    Cajun Bro, Thats a nice set up there...Thanks for your input. Mine is very dry too...it cuts through big boat wakes like butter.... the "bite" is scary and should not have to be experienced at the price tag of this boat. This makes me very unhappy and skeptical...I have owned other "pricy boats" that I have never experienced these issues with them. I am considering selling it and having a hand built Big-O made for me...had a 2003 for years with nothing but great things experienced..they have changed owners since then and that is the only thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger....and made me decide to purchase the Legend. I lost the boat to an unfortunate bad business decision leaving me unpaid on a large job...sad..very sad day...on that issue. If you fish shallow water a lot, check out the Big -O..."hand made", "not factory made"... to order, simple bare bones, but "get it done!!!" machine...up on plane with 20 ft length powered by 225 in about three seconds out of a foot of water (with trim tabs and hydraulic jack plate)... Rough water was a very minor issue...would put a Bullet to shame in the same rough water. ..and as far as this Legend goes..its a slug in comparison and not "that much" better in rougher wake infested waters that I fish...Lake Michigan or Erie...I think the Legend would be the ultimate for....here in N.E. Georgia the water is protected by surrounding hillsides for the wind issues, but it gets really stirred up with boat wakes from vessels that belong on a trip to the Bahamas..because the depths of the lakes allow larger pleasure vessels and then are a lot of skiers and such all ixed in the same places!

11. Member
    Josh, Thanks for the reply. For the money, I shouldn't have to worry about a light load. It is a heavy boat to start with. I am going to experiment with a few props and if things don't get better, I'm selling it. What a shame...it's a real head turner..but that's not all that is important.

12. Member
    Johnny, You sound dissatisfied as well. I am going to experiment with different props both above and below my current pitch...it seems that the prop needs more cup and not just about pitch...I'll keep you posted. Thanks for you input!

13. Member
    Try a 25.5p bravo 1xs. You will be amazed at the difference in hole shot and handling. I run one on my v20. Little slower on top end then the fury, unless you have it croxtonized!

14. Member
    Thank you Duckthumper...will do!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    Josh, Thanks for the reply. For the money, I shouldn't have to worry about a light load. It is a heavy boat to start with. I am going to experiment with a few props and if things don't get better, I'm selling it. What a shame...it's a real head turner..but that's not all that is important.
    Thank you sooo much!!
    Johnny Legend
    2018 Legend V21
    Mercury Verado 350
    Greensburg, Indiana
    and
    Burkesville, Kentucky

16. Member
    I have a 2013 A211 DCX 250 Pro XS with a 25 Fury prop that I have added a little cup to raise the bow up. I have no problem getting out of the hole, have a Bob's 10" jack plate, 2 power poles, can run 6000RPM at 75 by myself and 71 to 72 with partner. It just takes some seat time and some adjustments with motor height, prop and jack plate. I found out not to over drive the boat, Hope this helps.
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

I agree...
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post

18. Member
    A thanks to all of you...I very much appreciate the help. I was trying to get a photo loaded on my page, but am having problems with bites sizes...oh well! I'll keep you posted on my findings as I investigate the numerous prop options suggested..

19. Member
    Fury props were poorly cast...drop a pitch and have it blueprinted and I would bet most of your issues will be solved.....alot of people would recommend mark but I think Robert Patterson of propeller dynamics is better

20. Member
    EDW I have a 2014 211R. The Fury should work fine although a 24 Pitch between 3 and 31/2 inches below the pad will be better for that hull then the 25. I have a 25 pitch Fury that is my spare prop which performs good on my hull, however Mark did me up a 26 Tempest Plus and the performance is extremely better the my fury. The Tempest Plus seems to carry the weight better then the Fury at least in my rig. Holeshot, mid range and top end all have improved. The one thing I have noticed is my 3 blades seem to porpoise a bit when you get around 3600RPM. The fury seemed to do it about 200 RPMs lower then the Tempest, but the height of the engine has a dramatic affect on that. I am on Lake Ontario and my R is the best in ruff water I have ever been in. Been in most and have not found one with a better ride yet. Hopes this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast