Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bullet Transom Material

What materials are used in the early 2000's transoms?

They are all composite. Balsa, fiberglass and some kevlar in certain areas

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

What year did they start all composite transomes?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    ???????? ;-)

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Really?

Composite means 2 or more materials in the boat business. Bullet hasnt changed from the early 2000's til now but you may want to ask chad phillips or paul nichols for up to the minute info

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

I am confused I seen mostly woven and sheet glass, then high stress area especially runner/pad is woven Kevlar all balsa is wrapped in glass. I got pics but don't want to Richard with down loads.
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

Yep thats the way they always did it

So the transoms will not rot from water intrusion? Composite should not rot should it? I know of some in that era that have had transoms replaced.
    20 XD 250 PRO XB

There's a nice thread going on over on the Bullet Owners facebook page about this!

11. Member
    Depends on your definition of composite.

Yes itll rot. Just like a composite skeeter transom. That surprised a lot of folks when they came out with the C models- all composite. That composite was wood and fiberglass just like a bullet except it was marine grade plywood. If it was made from particle board and plywood wrapped with fiberglass it could be called composite. Theres wood to this day in a lot of cookie cutter all composite boats. Its a term used by boat mfrs to confuse the consumer. "All composite"

13. Member
    If that's how it works then why did Bullet make a big deal of it when they first came out with a composite option 5-6 years ago? To confuse the consumer and charge more for the same thing you would get if you didn't order composite? I don't think so.. That doesn't make any sense at all to me.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko71 View Post
    If that's how it works then why did Bullet make a big deal of it when they first came out with a composite option 5-6 years ago? To confuse the consumer and charge more for the same thing you would get if you didn't order composite? I don't think so.. That doesn't make any sense at all to me.
    I agree.

15. Member
    They use Coosa board in all there Transoms now . I don't know when they started doing that. But Coosa board will not rot.
    Last edited by Bradley21SS; 07-06-2016 at 06:15 PM. Reason: No balsa wood in stringers

16. Member
    lolol. Bullet has never had Balsa stringers.

Paul's right. I was at the Bullet factory last October and it's a lot of hand layed glass with Kevlar layed re-enforcement. It's all in how they lay the fibers sheets and the amount of resin is the key to weight and strength. Not over doing the resin like some manufacturers.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    lolol. Bullet has never had Balsa stringers.
    If they don't use Balsa in the Stringers ,where do they use it ? Maybe in the Hull Frame? But they do use Balsa ,it's just a mystery as to where lol. Maybe Paul can chime in and let us know. Because nobody else does. I've never heard a straight awnser on this subject!

Paul , what construction materials are used in bullet bass boats ? Also can you tell us where the Balsa wood is used?

Paul, have the construction materials changed since the early 2000's?

Thanks
    Brad

19. Member
    The boats were end gain balsa core boats (back in 2000 when I left Bullet) which means it's layers of fiberglass with a end grain balsa wood core and then layers of fiberglass so the balsa is sandwiched between the layers of fiberglass. The stringers were made of Marine grade plywood and the pad was made of klegcell (a dense foam material). They have experimented and changed things since I left with the composite materials. The stringers are now composite as well as the transom (no wood), but I'm pretty sure the "core" is still balsa but they have built some with no balsa and a composite material in its place. The best way to understand how the boats are built is to take a trip to Bullet and take a tour with Tom and then you'll understand MUCH better on the construction of the boats.

20. Banned
    When I redone my boat, I used coosa board for my transom and braces. That stuff is light and stronger than wood of the same thickness. I tested it by standing on a piece of 3/4" AC plywood and a piece of the 3/4" coosa board spanned the same distance. With my fat azz on the board the coosa board bent much less than the wood. I know that's some high tech testing, but it convinced me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast