torque follow up/ bolt types

Merc 250 Pro XS

1. Should mounting bolts and lock nuts be 316 stainless, Grade 5 or Grade 8? Have Grade 8, 1/2" diameter bolts in thread count 20's now. Having some rusting on grade 8 nuts.

2. To keep nuts tight (prevent loosing) can I use a 2nd lock nut (mounted nylon 1st/backwards due to length of bolt) or Jam nut?

Thank,

Bill

2. BBC SPONSOR
    I would use Mercury factory bolts which has the FINE threads on them and BRASS nylock nuts.

3. Member
    Don:
    What is your thought on using jam nuts to prevent lock nuts from loosening? Are factory lock nuts brass? Can you look a 1and 2 above.

4. Member
    He is going to tell you to use the Mercury Marine bolt kits. The nuts are brass.

5. Member
    OK, Thanks Savage. Are these 20 thread count nuts and bolts?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1/2"-20 Fine Thread STAINLESS bolts. Many of the Mercury bolt kits carry are ABP (F593C Rating).

I do not recommend utilizing "other" hardware, simply due to the potential liability. If you use the exact specified hardware, from the manufacturer, and something goes awry in that area, your legs are (lets say) on more solid ground.

Stainless fine-thread bolts, Stainless washers on the jackplate or boat side (of appropriate size/thickness), brass locknuts, and specially sized (and hardened) washers for the TRANSOM bracket. That last washer is EXTREMELY critical, especially when mounted to a jackplate or setback plate.

Final torque when mounting to a jackplate is 90 lbs/ft (engine to jackplate) using the specified fasteners.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Does Mercury recommend F593C grade 304 or 316 or 17-4 stainless bolts? How much thread should protrude past the fastened nut? What about the bolt washer nut setup for a jackplate to outboard motor? Is a stainless (grade?) washer required inside the jackplate to motor mount? What thickness and is it hardened?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have seen both types in their kits over the years. Traditionally, we want to see 5 threads protrude beyond the nylock (although in theory, two threads is sufficient).

I do NOT recommend double-nutting LOCKNUTS. See Post# 8 (above).

Also keep in mind that the Transom Brackets require a special Hardened Stainless Washer, specific dimension in OD to properly provide clamp load between the bracket and a JACKPLATE.

All of these items are provided in the OEM bolt kits.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thank you. Do you know the length of the bolt that goes between the jack plate and merc motor mount?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That will depend on the Jackplate used. In most cases you end up with a 2.5" bolt kit (and may potentially have to swap out the upper bolts for 3" bolts).

11. Member
    Thank you!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    He is going to tell you to use the Mercury Marine bolt kits. The nuts are brass.
    What is the part number for the kit . Has a buddy that's going to change plate's this fall on his boat.

13. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatlover View Post
    Just be aware those bolt kits DO NOT provide the proper hardened washer.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

14. Member
    I purchased F593C 1/2-20 x 3" long 316 stainless steel hex bolts, 3/16" thick Stainless steel 1/2" washers and 1/2-20 Brass Nylock locking nuts for mine. https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11128575

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That will depend on the Jackplate used. In most cases you end up with a 2.5" bolt kit (and may potentially have to swap out the upper bolts for 3" bolts).

Reviving due to repower

Current - 1995 xri 200
    repower- 2018 pro xs 225

is the motor plate thicker on the pro xs?

cmc jackplate

From looking at pictures seems the Pro xs motor plate is 5/8” and the XRI is 1/2”
    cmc jackplate 1/2”

this picture is my current xri / jackplate setup bolt length
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    yes sir it is , should have the updated much beefier clamp on those engines
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yes sir it is , should have the updated much beefier clamp on those engines
    joe. Would that qualify to a 2.5” bolt kit?

xri looks to be 1/2”
    cmc looks to be 1/2”

pro xs looks to be ? 5/8-3/4??

18. Member
    Bolts come in 1/2" increments, so you could just measure what you have currently and add 1/2" to determine the length.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Check85 View Post
    Reviving due to repower

Current - 1995 xri 200
    repower- 2018 pro xs 225

is the motor plate thicker on the pro xs?

cmc jackplate

From looking at pictures seems the Pro xs motor plate is 5/8” and the XRI is 1/2”
    cmc jackplate 1/2”

this picture is my current xri / jackplate setup bolt length
    Tom- Respectfully, it would be considerate to ask this question in ONE place. In the last 24 hours I've received an email, a PM, and now see a post... all with the same question.

One last time: Using MERCURY bolt kits (ONLY), you need a 2.5" Bolt Kit (67755A22) and then also need TWO (2) 3" bolts. Mercury's next size up is 3.5" and that won't work.

As indicated in the Email, Rhonda can set you up with these items if you drop her an email.