Return Fuel pump modification back to VRO pump

Hello everyone,
    I wanted to first say thanks for all the help with my previous posts. I have a 1988 200hp Evinrude with a fuel pump attached that I would like to switch back to original VRO setup. My engine seems to be gas starved and I wonder if it has the wrong fuel pump attached. Anyway, I recently purchased a used VRO pump from Dixie Boat Repair in Dayton (I thought I'd give these guys a little credit for their awesome customer service and patience with a guy like me) They actually sent three VRO pumps just in case one was bad.
    Anyway, here is the scenario: every time I throttle up to try to get up on plane it feels like the motor is only running on 4 cylinders. There is absolutely no power until it eventually gets up on plane. After a short while I can feel a boost in power and jump in speed. The tach is running a little low at 4900 and top end is quite a bit lower than my previous boat which was essentially the same boat. My current boat is a 1988 Stratos 201. and it tops out at around 50 (gps) my previous would top out at between 63 and 65 depending on the chop on the water. It also stalls out at idle sometimes.
    I know this is a little vague but when the previous owner put in the fuel pump, they tied into the original wiring harness which I can deal with but there is a purple wire that has been disconnected that runs from the engine side of the connector to somewhere about twelve inches away. I'm not sure where this actually goes because it has been taped off and tucked under the block.
    Could you guys that know far more about this type of thing give me some advice? I know just enough to be dangerous.
    Thanks for any advice!!!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish...

purple wire do not re connect, it goes to the stator, and major issues with the old stator and rectifier & regulator causing a short, burning out power packs and issue of causing a engine fire. rect&reg run $300 stators $522 power packs $305, then these can cause a tach to quit also. theres more details of this past issues. but I just typed in a short summary

I guess I forgot to say thanks for the info. THANKS!!!! I'm going to switch them out tomorrow pm
    So long and thanks for all the fish...