Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin M View Post
    GUNTERSVILLE SUCKs!!! Ive been there all day on a perfect day and we did not catch em
    I was there 3 days last week and slowly dialed it in and finally got on them good on the last day. Caught a 6 and a 7 and my best 5 went 25lbs. Just because they aren't jumping in the boat like they used to doesn't mean they aren't still there.
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live bow
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live console
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

2. Member
    I think a lot of the bass that are in the lake just don't want to bite because of all the pressure they get now days. They have seen just about every lure that exist. When someone fishes a ledge or a spot, that's all it can take sometimes to shut the bite down. So if someone was just fishing a spot or a school of bass before you, they may not bite for you. I think this unfortunately happens a lot now days because of the high level of fishing pressure.
    My Username on Archerytalk.com is "LBL Rec Area"

3. Member
    Let me go ahead and get slammed again on here for what I'm about to say.I explained on here over 2 years ago this was going to happen due to the toxins they are continually spraying and the A RIG.On the spraying they are just not going to stay around that chemical and those pellets that they are using period.On the Kill Rig that is a fish killing machine you don't know how many fish I have seen dead at different ramps after tournaments and after checking several of them out you can see all the gashes in them where they have been fouled hooked with all of those hooks the mortality rate isn't just good when this is accruing.When it first come out I used one at Gville the first fish I caught was a 4lber remember like it was yesterday and 1 hook was in the mouth the rest were scattered about the fish I put it down rite there and then and my partner and myself said holy chitt this isn't going to be good,haven't used it since it is a fish catching machine but a absolute fish killing machine on the bad side.So fire away again but don't complain.......

4. Member
    I can't comment on the spraying and results of the pellets. On the A-rig you are totally correct. I haven't used it in over two years. Unfortunately I see tons of anglers using it on Gville.

5. Member
    Many will tell you the A rig isn't that effective on Guntersville anymore.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basswhippa View Post
    Many will tell you the A rig isn't that effective on Guntersville anymore.
    It is certainly not what it was the first couple of years. Suppose the fish got accustomed to it.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

7. Member
    If the fish aren't hanging around the spray areas wouldn't they be more concentrated in other areas making them easier to catch? kinda like a draw down effect?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerJim View Post
    It is certainly not what it was the first couple of years. Suppose the fish got accustomed to it.
    You are correct damage done but it still works and still takes its toll on the mortality rate......

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_prodigy75 View Post
    If the fish aren't hanging around the spray areas wouldn't they be more concentrated in other areas making them easier to catch? kinda like a draw down effect?
    You would think only problem is this year with little rain they have not moved as much water or current which would help dilute the toxins of the spray and there spraying in so many areas that it is just remaining and saturating through out the lake.The pellets are the same as they used on wheeler and you see what happened there if I'm not mistaken those pellets are good for 5 years seeping out the toxin,so you may see some areas not ever come back like they used to be, may be in the spring and then they disburse again after spawn.I know control is good but remember we don't think like the owners they (TVA and APC) think in terms of their pockets they will tell you real quick what these lakes are for and it's not for fishing and Rec.........

10. Member
    I fish guntersville 8-10 times a year and I tell that the last couple years the fishing hasn't been what it has been in the past.

11. Member
    My buddy and I have gone to Guntersville for the last three years. It has gotten gradually worse each year. We were talking about our trip today and we may go to Chicamauga and South Holston Lake instead. We usually go in early March.

Fished a tourney there yesterday and the winner had a limit that weighed less than 13 lbs.........crazy.
    09 20x3 w/Merc 250 Pro XS

13. "That dude" at the ramp colreb2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybobby View Post
    You would think only problem is this year with little rain they have not moved as much water or current which would help dilute the toxins of the spray and there spraying in so many areas that it is just remaining and saturating through out the lake.The pellets are the same as they used on wheeler and you see what happened there if I'm not mistaken those pellets are good for 5 years seeping out the toxin,so you may see some areas not ever come back like they used to be, may be in the spring and then they disburse again after spawn..........
    I'd like to see some stats on this claim.

14. Member
    well 10-12 years ago wheeler was a better lake than guntersville then all then most the grass and pads died off and it was really tough after that!!!

There's still plenty of fish in Guntersville...and big ones. Guys are just having to work to catch them now. Yeah it's harder for sure. But they're still there..just like on Wheeler...plenty of big fish...You just got adapt..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by colreb2000 View Post
    I'd like to see some stats on this claim.
    Well Mr Reb look at your on lakes I used to fish over there alot can you tell me what happened to Pickensville which was 25lb to 30lb bag lake for a long time on any given weekend until what?spraying of the Milfoil and now it sucks just like Columbus and Aberdeen so on and so on.It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why and the same goes for Gville.I'm not trying to argue with you or any one else just saying we've got a problem and we're basically SOL that's all.Wake Up..........There was a big article wrote up last year from the pros expressing these same concerns and alot of guides,guides now and weekend fisherman.

17. Member
    Could it possibly be the "thought" of spraying, and just not adapting to the extra pressure or weather patterns? Don't get me wrong, I haven't been around here long enough to know. But I can tell you from a little experience that while they may spray and drop pellets, everyone is going out "expecting" the lake to fish different than it is. Those that think outside of the box are still catching them, and good bags of em. I'd chalk it up to pressure more than I would spraying. I've seen what vegetation control can do to a lake in Florida. This here doesn't seem to be the only factor.
    Trent Hoover
    N.E. Florida bass guide
    www.creeklifefishing.com

18. Member
    Have Asian Carp made it into Lake Guntersville yet? We have a large Asian Carp population now days in Kentucky Lake, some say they could ruin KY Lake for decades! If they are not in the AL lakes yet, lets hope they NEVER make it there, or things will just get much worse. I think fishing pressure is the biggest issue on Lake Guntersville, but getting rid of the vegetation is certainly NOT good either, it has destroyed many lakes in this country.
    My Username on Archerytalk.com is "LBL Rec Area"

19. "That dude" at the ramp colreb2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybobby View Post
    Well Mr Reb look at your on lakes I used to fish over there alot can you tell me what happened to Pickensville which was 25lb to 30lb bag lake for a long time on any given weekend until what?spraying of the Milfoil and now it sucks just like Columbus and Aberdeen so on and so on.It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why and the same goes for Gville.I'm not trying to argue with you or any one else just saying we've got a problem and we're basically SOL that's all.Wake Up..........There was a big article wrote up last year from the pros expressing these same concerns and alot of guides,guides now and weekend fisherman.
    That's not even close to comparable as the lower end of the Tenn-Tom waterway is going to crap because of siltation (there's been research done on this)....not from lack of aquatic vegetation. We're losing acres of usable/fishing water every year do to siltation. There's enough vegetation from Aberdeen on down (from Cuban bulrush, to hyacinth, to hydrilla, etc....the list goes on and on) to sink a battleship a few hundred times over. I was just curious of how/why you believe the toxins hang around and "seep" for 5 years...as I've never heard of this, and I handle aquatic herbicides every year. And no it's not rocket science....but it is ecology/fisheries science.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBassin View Post
    Could it possibly be the "thought" of spraying, and just not adapting to the extra pressure or weather patterns? Don't get me wrong, I haven't been around here long enough to know. But I can tell you from a little experience that while they may spray and drop pellets, everyone is going out "expecting" the lake to fish different than it is. Those that think outside of the box are still catching them, and good bags of em. I'd chalk it up to pressure more than I would spraying. I've seen what vegetation control can do to a lake in Florida. This here doesn't seem to be the only factor.
    Yes it could be...people come to Guntersville expecting what it was yesterday, and it's not for a number of reasons...There's still grass there. There's still big fish in the grass. You just got to find the right grass...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast