2009 Ranger V522 holeshot

I have a 2009 Ranger Z522 with Yamaha 300 VMAX, manual 12" jackplate, stock vmax three blade 25" prop.

I have installed two Minn Kota Talons off the back end of the boat and since this it is very sluggish out of the hole with a full tournament load. Between the 60+ gallons of fuel, five batteries, partner and equipment it is very slow out of the hole. I was thinking of running one fuel tank empty and possibly changing the pitch of the prop to better gain holeshout. While I have not timed it I would say it takes about 10 seconds to get out of the hole with a full tourney load. Just myself it is still slow out of the hole but it is a big boat so I can understand that.

Some other info I was curious about is:
    Where should i run my jack plate, (center of prop) below my pad?

What is the max RPM of this engine? I have found on line 5600 and also 6000.
    I don't think i am getting enough bow lift.

This motor, has a very low water pick up, so no mater how much i trim, or raise the motor, i do not lose any water pressure.

Any advise on set up, max running rpm, prop size, etc. would help alot

You need a Razor 4XL or a worked Bravo 1 from Croxton. You sir have a heavy boat I wouldn't be much worried about speed so much as getting out of the hole
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

3. Member
    I have the same year boat , same motor and same jackplate. I am currently running a Fury 3 blade 24P with 3 open vent holes ( came with the boat along with another Yamaha prop as a spare). Fully loaded it takes about 4 secs to get on plane. I have owned the boat for about 4 or 5 months and I am impressed with how fast this boat will get out of the hole. I would love to hear from others who own the Z522 boat and what they are running too.

4. Member
    Thanks for the information!! I have been looking for a different pitch prop and will take a look at them...

5. Member
    I would definitely agree!! Thanks!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    I have the same year boat , same motor and same jackplate. I am currently running a Fury 3 blade 24P with 3 open vent holes ( came with the boat along with another Yamaha prop as a spare). Fully loaded it takes about 4 secs to get on plane. I have owned the boat for about 4 or 5 months and I am impressed with how fast this boat will get out of the hole. I would love to hear from others who own the Z522 boat and what they are running too.
    Do you know what engine height your motor is at??

7. Member
    Almost forgot...what RPM range does that 24" prop get you??

8. Member
    Never checked the height. I have the led readout on dash and I run it at 1 or 2. never really played with it. I also don't know what RPM I am running but will try to check it next time out.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Never checked the height. I have the led readout on dash and I run it at 1 or 2. never really played with it. I also don't know what RPM I am running but will try to check it next time out.
    Thanks for the information... do you have a hydraulic jack plate?? Mine is a manual Jack Plate or are you talking about the little indicators on the manual Jack Plate?? Yeah if you get a chance to see what RPM range you are in that would be great...again thanks for all the information!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassFreak1 View Post
    Thanks for the information... do you have a hydraulic jack plate?? Mine is a manual Jack Plate or are you talking about the little indicators on the manual Jack Plate?? Yeah if you get a chance to see what RPM range you are in that would be great...again thanks for all the information!!

Mine is a hydraulic ............................

11. Member
    Old thread,

But I'm going to replace my prop back to stock. The 4 blade I have gives me terrible holeshot
    2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300