Need some information

What is the optimum RPM for best hole shot on a Mercury 150 HP, 4 Stroke (SN#: 2B041203)? I know on the 2 strokes they say to have the bow break over at about 3900 RPM's, but I've never seen that information for the 4 strokes. Since they don't achieve the same RPM range as the 2 strokes, I was curious what that number might be.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

2. Member
    For a hole shot? You want to know at what rpm?, all the rest of us are just putting the throttle to the pin and waiting to get out of the hole, then once out, pull back to whatever speed they feel comfortable with.

Just floor/pin it and wait, simple. No one is looking at their tach when they want out of the hole, we all just gun it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundra View Post
    For a hole shot? You want to know at what rpm?, all the rest of us are just putting the throttle to the pin and waiting to get out of the hole, then once out, pull back to whatever speed they feel comfortable with.

Just floor/pin it and wait, simple. No one is looking at their tach when they want out of the hole, we all just gun it.
    I know watching the tach isn't part of it, I'm just tweaking a setup trying to get the optimum performance out of it. Venting the prop to get the peak power curve when coming up on pad is crucial to all of the rest of the performance aspects of a boat. If you're happy getting what ever your boat does and don't care about how it SHOULD be performing, that's okay. I happen to want peak performance and am willing to tweak, just like the guys tweaking their cars on the weekend. Oh, and all the rest of you aren't just taking what it does, go to the Ranger board and look at how much tweaking improves a lot of those guys boats. Also come fish in the backwaters on the Upper Mississippi River and see how much mud you plow trying to do it that way.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In general, you'll setup much the same as a 2-stroke (Optimax) engine.

Normally somewhere in the 3500-3800 RPM range, when properly vented (however, you CAN tailor this to whatever suits YOUR specific engine/boat setup).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Theirs a lot of variables like prop pitch type style and blades. Also balanced loads in boat. No 2 boats are ever the same but each setup is generally close in holeshot. I'm from days of R&D and would find a little here and there. I like my holeshot to lift stern, then push forward and ventilate as it lays over to where it's biting but tacking up say 3500 R's. But playing around with jack plate heights and props are only the way to tell. In some cases 4 blades are faster and some 4 blades are not.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS