2003 250xs hole shot issue

Ok guys, this morning at take off my hole shot was just as good as it always is but as the day progressed my hole shot worsened. Only thing that has changed in the last year was a fuel pump that got changed two weeks ago. Any clues of where to start with this?

2003 Triton tr21 with a 2003 250xs

2. Member
    I forgot to mention that it ran fine once on plane.

3. Member
    Mine did same thing. this morning it was 73deg at daylight and hole shot was great and when I left it was 95deg and hole shot was slower than normal motordidn't want to spin up as quick. On plane it was fine. I'm thinking it was the humidity and heat here in Mississippi.
    Greg Wood
    2016 Ranger Z521c 250 Optimax Pro XS
    Dual Power-Pole Blades 10ft
    Lowrance HDS 12 Gen3's at Console and Bow

4. Member
    Humidity.....Run it first thing in the morning, if its good, then you now know why.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Temp and Humidity can play a significant role.

There are numerous other items as well, such as normal maintenance, fuel being used, engine coming up to temp, various electrical or mechanical problems, weak or improperly rated battery, and FUEL SUPPLY:

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I can see how heat and humidity could play a factor in my hole shot getting a little worse. But I believe it something more as EuropeanAM said. I've had this boat for 7 years and never has this happened and I live South Georgia. It almost couldn't get on plane at all. So I guess I need to start looking at some things for sure.

7. Member
    Is your tracker valve original ? It doesn't take much of a hole in it to cause low end issues and poor idling but still run fine on top . Mine just went on my 2004 and it had a visible tear. Might be worth looking at. Its easy to check. Four Allen bolts on a little silver cover near the top of the starboard fuel rail. There is a spring inside so be careful . A long set of Allen wrenches with the ball ends make the job easiest. Also, have you noticed a fuel sheen on the water? Mine was leaving a sheen and now that I replaced the tracker valve there is no more on the water signs of fuel at the dock.
    Last edited by canadabullet; 06-27-2016 at 01:16 PM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Certainly a possibility- but this is not something I recommend just tearing into, without some initial testing.

Start with the BASICS:

-Compression
    -Spark
    -Fuel Quality, Delivery, and Air/Fuel Pressures *

* Record results at:

-Idle
    -Under Acceleration
    -5/10/15 seconds after engine shutdown (where you'll often catch a tracker valve).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Same with my 225 ProXS (1B243409) 83 deg in am decent hole shot, 105 later in afternoon heavy load high humidity hole shot bad. Playing with PVS plugs is helping out.