05 Verado Trim issues

I have a 2005 Mercury Verado with 300 hours on my Basscat Puma. I had an issue several years ago with my trim. While running on pad the trim gauge would spike to full and the motor would trim all the way down. Took it to the shop they said no codes were recorded besides low voltage. He replaced my battery and it was fine for three years. Recently I had the same problem so naturally i replaced the battery. fixed the issue for about seven months. The battery is less than a year old now and fully charged and in good shape but still the needle pegs after about five minutes of the motor running or even the key in the on position. I can trim motor at an idle but not on pad. Also the trim souds like it is grinding or popping when i raise and lower.

My question is there a battery issue or am I overlooking the problem at this point, Trim sensor?

also are there zert fittings to lube the rams as I can not seem to find them on this beast..

Matt

2. Member
    There is not a single zerk/grease fitting on our Verado's.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!

I would be looking for a problem in the trim ram pins... and/or the TRIM SENSOR ITSELF.

Strongly suspect the trim sensor is faulty.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you for the welcome to BBC and the response, It goes in for 300 hour service in three weeks. Is the trim sensor something I can do or is it better suited for certified merc tech?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tech will need to reconfigure the trim limits, etc (with the Computer Diagnostic System)- so it's likely something you'll want to have them do.

If the sensor is functioning erratically (as you've indicated), I would not recommend attempting to operate the engine until it's been addressed. It is likely causing multiple faults to occur.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor