1983 Champion model identity question..?

I hope I am posting this is the correct location, if not please feel free to relocate..

I purchased a used Champion boat last fall, and would really appreciate some help to narrow down some specifics. It measures 18' front to back and 84" at its widest. It has Dual consoles and tags say 175hp max. It has a Mercury V150 blackmax which also numbers out to a 1983.. I am assuming it's a fish and ski model, just not sure of the details, super v,176 etc? It looks identical to this..

HIN= last 4 digits are M83C
    Last edited by flame56mx; 06-25-2016 at 11:40 AM.

2. Member
    duplicate post
    Last edited by flame56mx; 06-25-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: duplicate post

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome....this is the right place....

With the 175 hp rating, it is the 184. (BTW, the beam is 86" and length is 18'4". Not sure how Champion measured, so it's hard to duplicate their figures.) The HIN gives no info regarding model. I cannot tell from the picture, but if there are cushions forward of the consoles, yes, Fish n Ski. I do not have the 83 brochure, so not sure if Super V or not. Some of our other members might. Anyway, congrats on your Champion, and glad you joined us!
    Last edited by Lea; 06-25-2016 at 03:31 PM.

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sorry for delay in response...Sometimes, with a new member, the system will ask that the forum moderator approve teh posts, and I did not realize it was a "moderated" post until you had duplicated your post. I apologize.

5. Member
    Thanks for the reply Lea, and the information is greatly appreciated as well. The picture is not actually of my boat, the same model/color and almost everything else but I believe the original owner made some slight changes. He omitted the cushions forward of the consoles and installed fishing gear storage. He also replaced the windscreens with a custom made pair that I would really like to replace in the future. Other than some oxidation the boat/motor are in really decent condition for the vintage, and it handles everything I have put in front of it thus far. Thanks for the warm welcome..
    Last edited by flame56mx; 05-22-2020 at 06:35 AM.

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sounds like a good deal!!! Be sure and post some pics of your boat. The 184 is one of the very best hulls Champion ever produced!!!!

Original windshields were made by Custom Mold and Tint, in Arkansas. In case you need a source. Check with the Info and OEM thread up top. Lots of great info!!!!

The cushions forward of the consoles had storage underneath, but he may have wanted more deck space to move around while fishing. I did the same with my 1990 176 FnS. Had new lids built with carpet. Some of the FnS boats came with snap-on cushions, but I forget what years. Others, like mine, came with built-in cushioning.
    Last edited by Lea; 06-25-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Lost my head.....getting old is not fun!!! lol

Upholstery was made by Dean's Top and Canvas in Mountain Home, AR. http://deanstop.com
    You are one tough bitch. Now go prove it.
    I did. I survived.

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Lost my head there....thanks Lady! You got here just in time to save me..LOLOL

Anything for you, sis!!!
    You are one tough bitch. Now go prove it.
    I did. I survived.

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

11. Member
    Well, its been a long while and after all life's hiccups, curves and bumpy roads I still have my 184 FnS. This pic is from a couple years ago already, and while the past few years haven't seen a lot of time on the water, this year is already promising to be better. I'll try and get a few updated pics posted soon as well, I didn't do to well the last time, but life has somewhat settled down besides the "virus" issues we are all dealing with currently.

20180915_083555.jpg