Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The verado doesn't consume anywhere near what a 250efi does as wot. As stated before though, if you're buying a bassboat for fuel mileage, you shouldn't buy the boat. Get the 18' 150hp, or an Allison.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

2. Member
    No way I would go verado,that weight difference will be huge on a 20 ft boat,no way it will run with a pro xs.guys who have had both and say it will apparently didn't have the xs set up correctly.my opinion may be a little skewed after the issues I've been having with my 350 verado,and the merc reps don't have a clue about how to fix one of em,merc mechanics definatly don't have a clue either.if you don't want to run over 65-70 mph than a verado may be ok but if you like hauling the mail go xs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
    No way I would go verado,that weight difference will be huge on a 20 ft boat,no way it will run with a pro xs.guys who have had both and say it will apparently didn't have the xs set up correctly.my opinion may be a little skewed after the issues I've been having with my 350 verado,and the merc reps don't have a clue about how to fix one of em,merc mechanics definatly don't have a clue either.if you don't want to run over 65-70 mph than a verado may be ok but if you like hauling the mail go xs.

I'm here to tell you that its not a heavy engine and once you do the swap outs and all, 60 lbs heavier and battery weight (brand ) could solve that. I hate to hear you have had issues, whats the issue and have you have any luck with issue. I setup a lot of boats and yes it takes setup to get speed, but the Verado has power and with prop cuts and designs its not that hard to out run a XS\\ ProXS does depend on TM or the TM Wing. SM cases easy, if boat will handle it. Where are you located? What plate do u have on JAG. Also prop/props tried?
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-06-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Quote Syntax
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

As Jeff stated above...the weight is small and can be easily offset if you really wanted to.

I'm running mid 70s all day with a 250 on a Phoenix 921 with standard batteries and 10' Blades. Bravo props all day for bass boats...especially if you want all around performance. Plenty of lift and load carrying ability in those props.

I leave guys behind on the water..90% of them. No cookie cutter runs with me in a tournament especially with 2 and livewells.

You obviously have issues with that setup/motor. You get it dialed/ fixed..it's 80mph I would bet...if the hull is capable which I would guess it is being a Cat.

I have no doubt that I can hit 80 if I would get mine flashed by Whipple. Having a 350...whew..you should fly.
    Last edited by xranger77; 09-01-2016 at 04:35 PM.

5. Member
    Problem is at 77 mph and 6000 rpms it starts loosing speed,it will drop 5 or 6 mph and never recover.if I slow down to 40ish and hit it again it does the same.have tried 26 bravo,28 bravo,26 fury and 27 power tech.same deal with props only rpms change and I have had a merc rep in the boat and work on the boat for 2 days about a week and a half ago.merc keeps saying prop,hull,everything but a motor problem.when the rep was in the boat they hit the rev limiter because the idiots had it trimmed too high so they tried telling me I'm on the limiter,well I sent them a video this week of me driving at 6000 and having it happen.i haven't heard back from them this week so who knows.also have a no start issue 1 outta 15 starts,that apparently is something that's been going on for awhile,I have talked with several verado guys with that issue.4" hydraulic atlas plate,I leave the 26 fury on for now because that's what basscat says the boat runs 82 with.the bravo props are where I will end up running if the problem is ever resolved,they make the boat ride sooooo much better than the fury.

I personally would have a bigger plate, but that isnt the issue. You have something going on with the motor for sure. If it wont sustain WOT, there is a problem. And the starting issue as well.

Problem is at 77 mph and 6000 rpms it starts loosing speed,it will drop 5 or 6 mph and never recover.if I slow down to 40ish and hit it again it does the same.have tried 26 bravo,28 bravo,26 fury and 27 power tech.same deal with props only rpms change and I have had a merc rep in the boat and work on the boat for 2 days about a week and a half ago.merc keeps saying prop,hull,everything but a motor problem.when the rep was in the boat they hit the rev limiter because the idiots had it trimmed too high so they tried telling me I'm on the limiter,well I sent them a video this week of me driving at 6000 and having it happen.i haven't heard back from them this week so who knows.also have a no start issue 1 outta 15 starts,that apparently is something that's been going on for awhile,I have talked with several verado guys with that issue.4" hydraulic atlas plate,I leave the 26 fury on for now because that's what basscat says the boat runs 82 with.the bravo props are where I will end up running if the problem is ever resolved,they make the boat ride sooooo much better than the fury.
    Crazy question, do you have a primer bulb in fuel line?, sounds like the vented fuel cap not venting. When it fall off stop shutdown quick and pop fuel cap. If it sucks air in then you have a vent issue. Also fuel line size
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

8. Member
    I have 3 gas tanks and three gas caps,does the same on all three.one of my original thoughts was all the new epa crap on top of the tanks but me and the merc mechanic hooked up a separate gas tank straight to the motor that bypassed all tanks and lines and had the same issue.im still wondering about fuel filters,does my motor have 2 or 3,we replaced 2 but I have seen some verados with a high pressure filter,mechanic says I don't have it but it sure acts like a gummed up filter.

I have 3 gas tanks and three gas caps,does the same on all three.one of my original thoughts was all the new epa crap on top of the tanks but me and the merc mechanic hooked up a separate gas tank straight to the motor that bypassed all tanks and lines and had the same issue.im still wondering about fuel filters,does my motor have 2 or 3,we replaced 2 but I have seen some verados with a high pressure filter,mechanic says I don't have it but it sure acts like a gummed up filter.
    Mine has a inline (under hood) and a red top filter. Another thing could be super charger, boost valve. Not sure but but belt not slipping ?
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Filters and fuel inlet setup changed in the last few months. Serial number would be required to identify which setup you have (it's actually REQUIRED when posting in the forums).

I would definitely look into the filters- but one other item that might be beneficial would be to have the technician do a RECORDING of the engine at WOT (or at 6000 RPM), and record congruently for a minimum of 2 minutes.

I'd be more than happy to review a CDS recording done as above described... no promises, but often the "devil is in the details" (or the DATA, in this case).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    2b244045,merc mechanic does have a recording as well as a merc rep,I will see if I can get that and send it to you don,thanks

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks- you can send me an email through the BBC system (and once I respond, you'll be able to attach a file to any future reply).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12