Thread: Best frog rod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best frog rod

My son broke my old frog rod over the weekend. So I am looking at replacing it. I have been doing some research and have narrowed it down to three rods I think. What do you think is the best Rod out of the three and why? After throughing frogs most of the weekend I am looking for a lighter weight Rod. A lot of casting and the elbow and shoulder can feel it on Monday morning.

Here are are my picks.

Megabass Pitch Perfect
    Dobyns Champion 735
    Gloomis Frog Rod edition 7'1"

2. Member
    I use a Dobyns Savy 735 for hollow body frogs and the 734 for toads. They are well balanced rods with great warranty support should something happen. If your son is a bit rougher on his gear it may be nice to have good warranty support such as what Dobyns offers. I have had my 734 and 735 for probably 4 years now and they perform great. For frog fishing it is all visual for the most part so I am not sure if I would fork over the extra money for the Champion or MB rod. However if you want the frog rod to double as a jig rod or bottom contact rod than it would be worth it.

Just ordered the 736 Champion from Dobyns today from the awesome guys at The Tackle Trap. Have heard tons of great reviews about this rod, including from Gary Dobyns himself. Can't wait to give it a try when it gets in.

Dobyns 735 and 736 are both great frog rods.

5. Banned
    I would just get a Fury. No sense spending any moneey on a rod that has no use for sensitivity. Unless you are color matching your reel. Lol

6. Member
    The perfect pitch is an awesome frog rod. Amazing tip for casting and working a frog. I've heard the 735 is also great, but I have no experience with it.

The Fury doesn't have a 6 power, which is what I wanted. My son actually has a 735 Fury on order that will be here Wednesday that he intends to use as a frog Rod. Should be able to give some comparison within the week

8. Member
    Does anybody have any weights on these three rods? Is one lighter or heavier than the other? In my neck of the woods we don't have anybody close where I can go in and feel first hand.

9. Member
    Out of that list I would vote perfect pitch.

If you are only planning on throwing a frog only on these rods I would honestly go the cheaper route. A 7' 3" to 7' 6" Heavy or X-Heavy power with a fast tip is all you need. I currently have a Kistler Carbon Steel 7' 3" Heavy...works just fine and haven't lost a fish on it yet. I did have a Megabass PP as well as a Dobyns Champion 735c to throw frogs on...they also worked well but were 100-200 dollars more for the same function.

http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fis...l#.V2lMiPkrJpg

11. Member
    I just bought a Tatula 7.6" Heavy, it's a nice rod I'm sure it'll do great.
    My Quantum Smoke 7.6" heavy is awesome, enough tip to skip frogs under lay downs and docks yet TONS of backbone to pull them out.

I like the Micro guides when using straight braid.

Edit: Sorry should have read your entire post LOL
    I haven't used any of those but 7.6 Heavy with some tip to the rod is what I prefer.
    Shawn.D
    2015 Phoenix 618pro w/ 150 Evinrude Etec HO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    If you are only planning on throwing a frog only on these rods I would honestly go the cheaper route. A 7' 3" to 7' 6" Heavy or X-Heavy power with a fast tip is all you need. I currently have a Kistler Carbon Steel 7' 3" Heavy...works just fine and haven't lost a fish on it yet. I did have a Megabass PP as well as a Dobyns Champion 735c to throw frogs on...they also worked well but were 100-200 dollars more for the same function.

http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fis...l#.V2lMiPkrJpg
    I agree with fact that you don't need a sensitive rod for a frog rod. How ever I do want to get a really light rod because throwing frogs all day is hard on my joints. I also thought that if I got one on my list I could use it for bottom baits during the spring a fall. Are all three of my choices the same in weight or is one lighter than the others?

7'3" Hammer Xtra Heavy is the best frog rod I have ever fished. Being from South Florida I pretty much throw frogs year round. I have fished both Dobyns 734 & 735 and I feel it's a perfect blend of these two. I also agree with Fluke that you don need an ultra sensitive rod to chuck frogs but if light and sensitive is what you are looking for its hard to beat Hammer in both. Price point is also a huge plus. Good luck.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbck7 View Post
    I agree with fact that you don't need a sensitive rod for a frog rod. How ever I do want to get a really light rod because throwing frogs all day is hard on my joints. I also thought that if I got one on my list I could use it for bottom baits during the spring a fall. Are all three of my choices the same in weight or is one lighter than the others?
    I can agree with that...a lighter rod will help with an all day outing. Balance is a very important thing as well and the PP and 735c are close to each other in that area (balance in favor of the PP). The 735c looks like it weighs 5.7 ounces...not sure on the PP but I can get a weight for you.

Another one that I use for jig duty as well as frog duty is a Kistler KLX 7' 3" Heavy Mod-Fast casting rod. Weighs 4.4 ounces.

http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fis...l#.V2mxwPkrJpg

15. Member
    I can only speak of the champion 736 and champion 735.
    I own both and if I could only have one specifically for frogs it would be the 736 in split grip. I love that rod for heavy cover and I can walk a Pad Crasher or a Nevous Walker easily in open water. Good luck

16. Member
    I also have the klx 7'3" frog, jig, creature and it makes an excellent frog rod that is light weight.

17. Member
    I picked up a DX746C Dobyns this year for frogs/toads and punch/flip applications. It's very light weight and balanced, the tip is very responsive and makes working a frog fun. I use it as a very multipurpose rod cause I'm a co-angler and have to have setups for multiple things, for a single "just frog" rod, there are plenty of options cheaper and great quality. (Tatula's under $100 come to mind)

The Megabass XX Perfect Pitch is an excellent frog rod. Aside from that, it's plenty sensitive for fishing jigs, plastics, etc. You can go up to a 1 oz. tungsten in the thick stuff no problem, or toss a big football jig out deep. It's also really nice for tossing single swim bait heads in deep water or fishing bigger paddle tails around cover. Overall, just an excellent rod I'd recommend to anyone.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...oducts_id=4055

19. Member
    Just started using a Cabelas ZX frog rod and like the action a lot, it is a 7ft 3 heavy and is also very light. Have several rods in this line and like them all.

20. Member
    Might want to look at the ALX Toadface and or Promice 73 also. Made in USA by a board sponsor. www.alxrods.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast