Thread: Best frog rod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Shawn.D
    2015 Phoenix 618pro w/ 150 Evinrude Etec HO

2. Member
    My son just got a Dobyns Champion 735 this year & used it a couple times It's a good, light rod for the $.....but I really like the ALX toadface as well. I had one built on the Hydra FL4 blank & it's been very good up to this point this year....I wanted a bit more length on mine so it's not a 7'6" Toadface & not a 7'3"

I still have a 7'4" Daiwa L&T frog rod that is a tank......but wears you out trying to use it all day if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Megabass XX Perfect Pitch is an excellent frog rod. Aside from that, it's plenty sensitive for fishing jigs, plastics, etc. You can go up to a 1 oz. tungsten in the thick stuff no problem, or toss a big football jig out deep. It's also really nice for tossing single swim bait heads in deep water or fishing bigger paddle tails around cover. Overall, just an excellent rod I'd recommend to anyone.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...oducts_id=4055
    What Gary said!

4. Member
    Daiwa Tatula 7'4 Heavy frog Rod.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UkCatsBasser View Post
    Daiwa Tatula 7'4 Heavy frog Rod.
    Excellent Frog rod. And pulls double duty very well.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

6. Member
    Does anyone have any advice or experience with a "short" frog rod? I'm only 5'7" and really struggle to work a hollow body frog properly with anything 7' or over. Would really love to find a rod in the 6 1/2 foot range for this application, but not sure if that even exists?

Quote Originally Posted by PaRiverRat View Post
    Does anyone have any advice or experience with a "short" frog rod? I'm only 5'7" and really struggle to work a hollow body frog properly with anything 7' or over. Would really love to find a rod in the 6 1/2 foot range for this application, but not sure if that even exists?

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=#post7325390
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

8. Member
    Thanks

9. Member
    Same here-height challenged as well. I have a 6'10" Academy Ethos pitchin' stick that I think I will try to frog with.

10. Member
    Jumping back to the Fury line - trying to figure out which is better all around for frogs & toads between the 734 or 735? Also, does anyone have feedback on the Duckett Terex 7'4 frog rod?

11. Member
    No feedback on the duckett terex. I had my eyes set on that model until I found the Tatula frog Rod for a deal I couldn't pass.

Quote Originally Posted by 06SkeeterZX190 View Post
    Jumping back to the Fury line - trying to figure out which is better all around for frogs & toads between the 734 or 735? Also, does anyone have feedback on the Duckett Terex 7'4 frog rod?
    The 735 is a better choice for hollow frogs around grass/slop, the 734 is great for poppers or smaller hollow in a sparse or open environment. The 734 has a great tip, but of course doesn't have the power of the 735. The 734 is a more versatile rod though...great for Blades, spooks, buzz baits. The 735 is frogs or flipping...my preference is the HP line for bottom baits though. I do have a Fury 735 for hollow frogs and a few Fury 734s for all the techniques mentioned.

We have a new ALX Rod coming out at ICast next week that will have two sub 7' heavy power rods that would work great. Details to come.

14. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by xranger77 View Post
    The 735 is a better choice for hollow frogs around grass/slop, the 734 is great for poppers or smaller hollow in a sparse or open environment. The 734 has a great tip, but of course doesn't have the power of the 735. The 734 is a more versatile rod though...great for Blades, spooks, buzz baits. The 735 is frogs or flipping...my preference is the HP line for bottom baits though. I do have a Fury 735 for hollow frogs and a few Fury 734s for all the techniques mentioned.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UkCatsBasser View Post
    No feedback on the duckett terex. I had my eyes set on that model until I found the Tatula frog Rod for a deal I couldn't pass.
    You will really like that rod.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

16. Member
    Do u know where Dobyns r made?

Quote Originally Posted by chadmack282 View Post
    Do u know where Dobyns r made?
    Made in Korea, assembly in China.

18. Member
    Loomis glx 893/894

After using the models, Dobyns Champion 736 is my choice for toads... 735 model for walking/popping frogs

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    Might want to look at the ALX Toadface and or Promice 73 also. Made in USA by a board sponsor. www.alxrods.com
    Is there a discount for BBC members? Wouldn't mind trying a toadface.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast