Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to buy first Nitro (Need Help)

Hello Nitro owners! I'm looking to buy a new boat and found a new 2011 Z8 with 225 Mercury that really caught my eye. I currently don't have a boat but have previously owned Rangers. I loved my Ranger, but lets face it, the prices are outrageous. My last Ranger was a 518vx with 200 Mercury. I was just wanting to know how the Z8 would compare to the Ranger and what are the pros and cons of the Nitro. I have heard some "not so good things" about Nitro in the past but in my opinion all of the newer bass boats are quality boats. Please help me now because I'm looking to purchase soon and its a huge purchase to not get what you want. Thanks everyone

2. Member

Re: Looking to buy first Nitro (Jordan120)

Theres a reason that Nitros are the #1 selling bass boat. PRICE, of course, but quality as well. MUCH improved over the years. And most of the negative stigma comes from the Ranger and Champ guys it seems. Seems as if they are a slight bit jealous maybe that their $20K extra didnt seem to have as much storage space as a Nitro.

Not going to bash anyone, but take a ride in the Nitros, fish out of a NItro and make your mind up then. Great ride, EXCELLENT storage and great fishability. Enjoy the new Nitro my friend! WE all do!!!!!!!
    "CATCH EM, PUT EM BACK, CATCH EM AGAIN, PUT EM BACK AGAIN, REPEAT!!"

TGCustomRods@gmail.com

Sponsors:
    My WIFE
    My Wallet

3. Moderator

Hi Jordan, I've been with Triton for 14 years prior to getting a new z9. So far so good with the Nitro. Got some small quirks here and there but nothing major.

One tidbit of advice I can give you. Try to get a z8 with a 250 for no other reason than resale.. Boats that are underpowered typically have a tough time when it comes to resale. Nothing wrong with a 225 at all. Just my .02..

Mike

Atlanta, GA Bass Fishing Guide/Swimbait Mfg
    http://www.BullShad.com

I really think you should take a test ride and make your own comparison, then decide. I think you will really like the Z-8 and your pocket book will thank you. Sent IM.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

5. Member

Re: Looking to buy first Nitro

Thanks for the advice guys. Nitro definitely seems the way to go as far as bang for your buck after I have checked on most other brands. I have owned boats before but never a new one and the prices on most brands are way beyond the Nitro.
    In response to T Mike's comment about the Z8 with 250, do you guys think it is worth the extra 3k to get the 250 over the 225 as far as resale goes? I know the Z9 has a special price right now of $39,995 which only 3k more than the Z8 with 225. You guys think it is worth it?

6. Member

Spend the extra 3k and get the z9. You get a lot more with the z9 standard that you would have to pay to upgrade on the z8. Not to mention the extra HP on the engine and the extra length on the boat.

7. Moderator

Jordan, You found the same thing I found. Triton priced me way out of the market for what I got with Nitro. Here's a hint. BPS = no haggle on price. NON BPS Nitro dealer = haggle. and if your anywhere near Pro's Choice in Missouri Luke Payne would be the first guy I go to.

Atlanta, GA Bass Fishing Guide/Swimbait Mfg
    http://www.BullShad.com

I only paid 1500 to go from a 225 to a 250 and that was labor switching the engine out etc as my Z8 had a 225 on it on the showroom floor at BPS. And they ditched the tempest prop that was on it and gave me my prop of choice which is a 26 Fury.
    2015 Bass Cat Cougar FTD Mercury 250 PRO XS
    Blevins Tuning
    S&S Marine

9. Member

Re: (Blevins)

Thanks guys for the info. Sounds like you got a gread deal Blevins.

Some BPS are better then others. Same with dealers.
    2015 Bass Cat Cougar FTD Mercury 250 PRO XS
    Blevins Tuning
    S&S Marine

Re: Looking to buy first Nitro (T Mike)

I agree, Luke is the man to go to. No matter where you live.

12. Member

Jordan,
    I to was looking into the Z8's, ended up going with the Z9. For the extra 3K you get a lot more standard equipment and i liked the storage better on the 9.
    Also Pro's Choice Marine is where i would check for your price. Talk with Luke Payne, I dont think you can beat his deal anywhere, sure worth the call.
    Good luke with your decision....
    Also I ran Tritons for the past 12 years, they just priced me out of their boats.

13. Member

Re: Looking to buy first Nitro (Retired FF)

Call Stokleys Marine in Ky. I'm not saying there will be any difference in there or Missouri but it gives a little more Idea as to whether you are getting a good deal.

14. Member

Re: Looking to buy first Nitro (Retired FF)

I took Retired FF advice and gave Luke a call. Great guy, ordered a boat same day.

15. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Jordan120 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Hello Nitro owners! I'm looking to buy a new boat and found a new 2011 Z8 with 225 Mercury that really caught my eye. I currently don't have a boat but have previously owned Rangers. I loved my Ranger, but lets face it, the prices are outrageous. My last Ranger was a 518vx with 200 Mercury. I was just wanting to know how the Z8 would compare to the Ranger and what are the pros and cons of the Nitro. I have heard some "not so good things" about Nitro in the past but in my opinion all of the newer bass boats are quality boats. Please help me now because I'm looking to purchase soon and its a huge purchase to not get what you want. Thanks everyone</td></tr></table>

I have some nice pictures of a 929. There wasn't a square foot on that deck that DOESN'T have a crack in it. I've seen plenty of cracked decks on skeeters, but this 929CC takes the crown. I have pic's of another one, the floor was shot, cracking like dry clay in the summer sun. Yugo's where cheap as well, just like deywoo's.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

16. Member
    I owned a Ranger. 185VS w/150 Mercury XR6. Wanted another Ranger but I can't handle the price. I now have limited garage space and plan to get a Z6

2005 Ranger 185VS 150 Mercury XR6

17. Member
    I own a 2006 929 and I don't have a single crack on my hull or deck. Might have been how the owner treated the boat?

To the OP...Pro's Choice can give you an excellent price if you decide to go Nitro. But I agree that you need to do your homework and maybe take a few test rides to see what would be the best fit for you. I have nothing but good to say about the used 929 that I bought and if/when I buy a new one...it will be a Nitro.

Hi Jordan,

Speaking from experience owning both Stratos and Ranger Commanche's, I to was in the market for a new boat. Stratos are nice but if you want to run a 250 then you have only the 201 Evolution to chose from, meanwhile Ranger has many options however only if you are willing to break the bank. For sure the refinement and extras you get with a Ranger are second to none but at the end of the day do I really need polished Stainless trim around my foot pads... I bought a Z8 250XS for two main reasons, Performance and value. To date I am more than satisfied with both and have no regrets. Personally at these price points no matter the brand you are getting quality as this is their premier models hence they should be showcasing the best the manufacturer has to offer. I only chose the Z8 250XS over the Z9 250XS due to the Z9 being heavier and the difference in length was very minor like 6". My last Ranger was a Z521 and at 21.6' long I did not feel the size justified the performance.
    2014 Nitro Z8 W/250 ProXS
    HDS12 & 9 Touch, Hydowave, Precision Sonar Mount, Go Pro's, etc...
    Pro Staff for G.Loomis, Shimano, Jackall, Power Pro, Lowrance.

19. Member
    Pro's Choice has a NEW 2014 Z9 for $38,900
    2022 Phoenix 721
    250 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by johnpec View Post
    Pro's Choice has a NEW 2014 Z9 for $38,900
    Is that new? With a 250? cause they had other 2014s for more.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast