1996 Stratos 268V carpet question

New to the forums, excited to share and hear about beloved bass boats!

I've got a 1996 Stratos 268V with a Johnson V4 115hp Fast Strike. My boat is darn near in mint condition (hence why i purchased it last fall).

Being 20 years old, the carpet is starting to peel a little bit and has minor grease stains from being tinkered with. I have been doing a lot of research regarding carpet and want to buy the best there is. I've heard great things about BASSBOATSEATS.COM and their quality bass boat carpet. My only question is, what weight of carpet should I buy? My factory carpet appears to be thin, possibly 16oz although it may just be matted down from use. I am hesitant to buy 20oz carpet even though I heard it is the best way to go. I am just hesitant because I dont want my lids to have trouble closing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    That year would be either 16 or 18 oz. you can do 20oz but will require shaving fibers on backside of hinge mount. I'd go with 19 oz if available.
    Do yourself a favor if you do it yourself and get the weldwood contact cement. It is yellow and is what most shops use for carpet and car headliners. High tolerance to heat and great waterproof resistance.
    Use a paint brush along the edges to ensure it is secured to the deck.
    Once done use a blower and see if you missed securing any edges to the deck.

Good Luck!

3. Member
    Thanks Javelin90 for your input! I'll give weld wood a try!

Agree with the Weldwood...However..The fumes can and will sneak up on you..Be careful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblue1122 View Post
    Agree with the Weldwood...However..The fumes can and will sneak up on you..Be careful!!!
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited