could have not only burnt my boat but also my house of wood!

Today I was tired so laid down to nap, 10 minutes later my dogs started barking at deer in the front yard, there went my nap, so I went in my garage to go ahead and wash my harley, and my motor guide was running at WOT ! I couldn't stop it so I hurried and unplugged it, something tells me I could have had a mess if I had slept too long, i checked the breaker and its frozen solid, being my charger was plugged in it would have ran to a danger point, I always try to remember to turn it off with the toggle switch on the side, this time I had forgot to.
    Just James

2. Member
    I think your dog's deserve a little extra kibble tonight!

John

3. Member
    This is why should unplug it always or run disconnect switch in battery cables somewhere

4. Member
    Unplugging eliminates the dangers of accidentally hitting the button when your face, fingers or arms are close by--also prevents wiring from getting hot when running constantly with noone around and when charging helps to prevent the boards and internal switches from being able to activate. It's always best to unplug the TM when finished fishing and loading to go home.

Very glade it was caught in time without any damage to anyone or anything.
    Rocket

5. Member
    it was my plug that fried, just happenes I have a new spare. tell me something- the toggle on off switch on the left side, is that the same as unpluging it, or not ?
    Just James

6. Member
    heck yea John, maybe even rib eye!
    Just James

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vnvjames View Post
    it was my plug that fried, just happenes I have a new spare. tell me something- the toggle on off switch on the left side, is that the same as unpluging it, or not ?
    If I remember correctly Mr. Jones says the digital will continue to have power even if the switch is turned off. I certainly could be wrong about his quote but never the less it is always better to disconnect the TM when finished fishing. At least it gives me peace of mind when I disconnect mine. The switch only stops the power from the pedal to the motor (not from the plug to the switch) if it is unplugged there is NO power going to the TM at all. Of course this doesn't help the power going from the battery(s) to the plug. The only way this is interrupted is to disconnect at the battery(s) or put in a disconnect battery switch. But you still have to remember to turn the disconnect off.
    Rocket

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vnvjames View Post
    On a Motorguide, the side toggle disconnects the module from the batteries. On a MinnKota, the side switch does not disconnect the board from the batteries. Unplugging, or tripping a disconnect switch/breaker in the bilge area, always disconnects both trolling motors from batteries.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    thanks guys, yes i fried the module, learned my lesson, from now on I will always disconnect my trolling motor !
    Just James

10. Banned
    Fires in boats sitting in garages are enough to make you have very thick sheet rock on the inside of any garage.

We had a fire in a family home, and thick sheet rock is all that protected the house from burning to the ground.

I often see pictures of garages online with bare wood in the walls and ceiling--very risky.