98 Mercury 200 EFI questions

Hey guys... Had my savage 896 out today and fired up the 200 Merc for the first time in a couple weeks and I have a couple questions/concerns..

First thing I noticed, when I turned the key on I didn't get a test beep from the oiler/water alarm.. Every other time
    I've had it out I would get one beep when I turn the key on. (Previous owner told me it should beep every time the key is turned on.

Secondly, speedometer got stuck in between 30-40mph, and the tach doesn't go back to zero when I turn it off. (Minor things but just curious)

Lastly, what oil do y'all recommend for this motor? Previous owner claimed it had been rebuilt last year and hadn't had too many hours put on it since.. It is really clean under the cover like someone had been through it.. But he was running valvoline 2 stroke oil. I was needing to get more oil so I stopped in at bass pro and a guy from the tracker dealer recommended I run Quicksilver Premium Plus.. Is this ok to mix into the remaining valvoline that's in the tank?

Thanks in advance. I'm extremely new at boating and boat motors so all and any advice is extremely appreciated.

2. Member
    Anybody?

3. Member
    well im almost in the exact same boat as you... ive got an 884 savage with a 175 instead of 200 but pretty much the same engine... ive noticed that my tach doesnt go back to zero as well... as far as the beep goes... mine always gives out the warning beep. as far as the oil goes... i doubt mixing the oil will make a diffrence... sorry i cant be of any more help

4. Member
    Yea mine used to do the beep when I turned the key on, never any other time. So I'm just trying to confirm a suspicion that the alarm module may be bad.

There is a test touching the alarm feed to something on the block that will confirm its operating. Do a search on the site or ask in the mercury forum

6. Member
    1- You should get the beep when turning the key "on". You can test by finding a tan wire with blue tracer ( blue line) on the cylinder head temp sensor. Unplug the bullet connector and use a jumper wire to ground the harness end of the tan/blue wire. With key on, you shold get a beep.
    Buzzer should be under dash with a purple wire ( 12v with key on) and tan/blue ( ground from sensor).

2-speedo probably had debris in the pickup hole on front of gearcase. water goes in then hole gets plugged and water can't get out. Find a connection/splice in 1/4" black speedo hose at motor splashwell area. I'd seperate the hose to see if water leaves and gauge zeros. A drill bit of approx 1/8" can be used to clean gear case pick up hole.
    Compressed air can be used to try and blow debris out of the pickup by blowing it in towards the rear or to verify speedo operation by gently blowing it forward.

3- Tach will not read 0 with key off. Can be anywhere on the gauge. Should go to 0 when key turned "on".

4- use an oil that you're comfortable with. TCW-3 is TCW-3. As a Merc Tech, I officially reccomend the factory products like Premium Plus but have used other brands on my personal motors.
    Run the tank as low as possible when changing oils . They may not mix well and "gel" up .

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Target View Post
    1- You should get the beep when turning the key "on". You can test by finding a tan wire with blue tracer ( blue line) on the cylinder head temp sensor. Unplug the bullet connector and use a jumper wire to ground the harness end of the tan/blue wire. With key on, you shold get a beep.
    Buzzer should be under dash with a purple wire ( 12v with key on) and tan/blue ( ground from sensor).

2-speedo probably had debris in the pickup hole on front of gearcase. water goes in then hole gets plugged and water can't get out. Find a connection/splice in 1/4" black speedo hose at motor splashwell area. I'd seperate the hose to see if water leaves and gauge zeros. A drill bit of approx 1/8" can be used to clean gear case pick up hole.
    Compressed air can be used to try and blow debris out of the pickup by blowing it in towards the rear or to verify speedo operation by gently blowing it forward.

3- Tach will not read 0 with key off. Can be anywhere on the gauge. Should go to 0 when key turned "on".

4- use an oil that you're comfortable with. TCW-3 is TCW-3. As a Merc Tech, I officially reccomend the factory products like Premium Plus but have used other brands on my personal motors.
    Run the tank as low as possible when changing oils . They may not mix well and "gel" up .
    Awesome thanks for the info! I tracked down the warning buzzer behind the switch panel and confirmed that it was deAd. Picked up a new one from a tracker marine dealer and we are in good shape.. 3 beeps at key on, no other beeps after that.

Speedo went down to zero finally, but I do need to try and clean out the hole. I did peel out a chunk of something from it today, but it didn't fix it.

I did end up going with Quicksilver Premium Plus, I noticed a little more smoke than usual for a couple days, but today it was back to the usual amount. There wasn't a whole lot of valvoline left in it when I filled it with premium plus.

8. Member
    My alarm isn't working on my 912 what was the model number on the one you got

9. Member
    Where is your alarm located any pics