Fiberglass fenders and keeping them tight.

I see where several Nitro boat owners have mentioned the loose fender bolt issues in the past. I have a 2015 - Z8 with fiberglass fenders that I can't seem to keep tight. My next step will be to remove the non-skid on top of the fenders to remove the recessed bolts and then replace with something I can hold a back-up to tighten. Is this something that others are familiar with regarding the Nitro fenders? I've seen others that have fixed using several different methods that seem okay on some and not so on others? This seems to be a very real problem with the fiberglass trailer fenders on Nitro's? I've had to hold backup with vice grips and attempt to tighten using only an open end wrench which takes time. I'm at the end of the threads and cannot tighten further. I know there's not a quick fix, but was just wondering if others have any suggestions to resolve the issue? Both Port and Starboard fenders are extremely loose at this time. Thanks in advance for any advice others may suggest.

2. Member
    They are probably flat head socket cap machine screws (that is what most manufacturers use). If so, hold the crew in place with allen wrench and secure fender with ss nyloc nut and a large ss fender washer.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    They are probably flat head socket cap machine screws (that is what most manufacturers use). If so, hold the crew in place with allen wrench and secure fender with ss nyloc nut and a large ss fender washer.
    Yup, the carpet liners on the metal fenders come loose too. They used just sheet metal screws on those, swapped them for flat heads with nylon nuts backing them.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

So I removed the factory carriage bolts , then put new bolt through the traction pad so i can put a wrench on top and bottom. It looks a bit janky but sure works well and the bolts/washers are just more non skid for my shoes. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    So I removed the factory carriage bolts , then put new bolt through the traction pad so i can put a wrench on top and bottom. It looks a bit janky but sure works well and the bolts/washers are just more non skid for my shoes. Haha
    I had to do the same exact thing with my older Ranger.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    That's the direction I was headed, but will need to remove the non-skid to see how to proceed. I have a die grinder ready to just cut the old bolts and start new. The nuts installed are nylon and therein lies a lot of the problem. Very difficult to remove without being able to hold a back up on the bolt shaft. Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by frystec View Post
    That's the direction I was headed, but will need to remove the non-skid to see how to proceed. I have a die grinder ready to just cut the old bolts and start new. The nuts installed are nylon and therein lies a lot of the problem. Very difficult to remove without being able to hold a back up on the bolt shaft. Thanks for the responses.
    I just pealed the pads some and used adhesive after drilling through them for the new bolts. Worked great
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Your tightening through wood. Get larger flat washers that will fit in the depression. The bolts are Phillips when you get the rubber step pads off. I replaced with stainless screws and the flat washers (I believe 3/4” OD) which grabs more wood.
    Rad Brewer