1996 186 Teleflex Red International Domed tach

the teleflex tach on my 186 has seemed to start acting up. at idle it says 2000rpm and with jump. Today it also hit 8000 rpm while running, which is way off. Was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and there is a easy fix without trying the find a new gauge that would match the rest of my gauges

2. Member
    There's a little pot adjuster on the back of the tach with numbers on it...look to see where it is setting and then turn pot screw back and forth a couple of times and then return back to the setting it was on......by turning it back and forth it cleans the contscts some what.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    There's a little pot adjuster on the back of the tach with numbers on it...look to see where it is setting and then turn pot screw back and forth a couple of times and then return back to the setting it was on......by turning it back and forth it cleans the contscts some what.
    thank you bruce! I will try that in the morning and see if it works

4. Member
    Don't turn it past it's limits
    Hans Deters

1996 ChampioN Fishunter 190
    1996 Mariner 225 EFI
    1996 Mariner 9.9

It could be a your voltage regulars going bad, spikes in the tack.
    take your cowling off and inspect for burnt bullet connectors and check the motor boards to search for info, what motor are you running ?

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    ^^^^ ^^^^

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    It could be a your voltage regulars going bad, spikes in the tack.
    take your cowling off and inspect for burnt bullet connectors and check the motor boards to search for info, what motor are you running ?
    175 Yamaha Vmax HPDI

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Post up on the Yamaha board then. I know on a Merc, what you described can be caused by the VR, it happened to me. I would just eliminate other possibilities before replacing the tach. On the Merc, you can make about a 4" jumper and move the tach to the other VR to see if that is the problem, but I'm not familiar with how the Yamaha works.

Red Domed International have not been available for several years. Amega series, I think may be close in appearance. Teleflex also sold their gauges to Veethree in 09. You can also read up on gauge troubleshooting here.

Links to other ChampioN pages on BBC & Useful Info

9. Member
    thank you Reggie, I will have to look on the Yamaha board. I knew that they stopped making Teleflex gauges, if I was have to replace I was going to call Carol at C&O and see if they had one. Just trying to eliminate the mix match gauges

Cory

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I had Red Domed International in my 201 and I had pretty well scoured the country for tachs and water pressure gauges. I hit up C&O in that process. Went through the same issue with my Mariner 200 EFI and ran out and found a gauge at a dealer in Mountain Home. swapped it out and it didn't fix the issue. That is when I found out about the VR issue. Made the jumper to move the tach to the other VR and viola, solid as a rock. So ordered a pair of VRs. Red Domed International were also used in Cobra/Viper boats and I'm sure others as well. If you know of a dealer that used to carry Viper, you might check with them.

I have an extra Tach ,2 trim and and speedometer gauge original Red Dome Int'l if you need one let me know .I let them go for what I have in them.
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

12. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Just luv the ChampioN family ...

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    For sure!!!!

I mean the tach . Don't expect you to buy all of them .
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

15. Member
    how much do you want for the tach?