Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a driving lesson.

I keep getting a slight proposing in my boat when at around 65 MPH. It isn't chine walk it just feels like I am going over little wakes. It doesn't seem to matter if my atlas is set at 10 or at 15 does it either way. My max RPM is around 5400 with a 25 Fury with all the plugs in. Any tips

2. Member
    What's the trim? And how's the load equalization front to rear??
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    Got the Sho trim at around 3/4. I ran with live wells full and got same numbers.

4. Member
    3" prop to pad is 15 on my gauge. I've been running around between 10 and 13 doesn't seem to get any better between them. Going tomorrow so I will try it at 15 and see what it does.

5. Member
    How do the numbers go? 10 is lower than 13? 15 will put the motor higher I think?

If so than 15 should be better as all I've heard is the SHO likes to be higher, and 3" pad to prop is way too low, 2 3/4" to 2 1/2" is suppose to be better. Mine is at 2 5/8" but it's a shorter boat, and a 225 motor. What boat do you have? I never remember. 250 motor so probably a 721, or 920 I'm guessing.

Also the Fury doesn't like to work properly on my SHO and my boat, the SHO 26 and 25 T1 work better.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

6. Member
    I keep hearing that the Sho likes to run high but worried about getting it to high and losing water pressure. I have a 721 with a 250 SHO and yes 15 is higher and I will try it. I got a Fury because my dealer said that a stainless steel prop was standard and turns out it wasn't so I think they just put the Fury on to save themselves some money. I guess I will have to buy a 25 Sho prop. I just figured I would get more RPMs than 5400 with the fury 25.

7. Member
    Try trimming up slightly from that point that is when you should start to feel it really lift out of the proposing.

8. Member
    Roger that. Raise jack plate and trim up

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Bill I don't think you can get to high on the SHO, once I got to 20 on the Atlas I raised the engine one hole and still running 18 to 19.
    Less than 2" p2p
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

10. Member
    A fury on a SHO?? Wouldn't the Yamaha T1 or a turbo Fxp be a better fit? I don't have a SHO now, but did
    before and the recommendation was always a larger diameter prop.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g.sampey View Post
    Try trimming up slightly from that point that is when you should start to feel it really lift out of the proposing.
    I'd say this ^^^^.....Although I don't have the bigger boat, my 619 does the same thing.....I start bumping the trim up and it goes away.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    If you raise the motor to say 20, and then lose water pressure, then just back off the throttle, lower the motor back to say 18, and go again. Losing water pressure for a few seconds won't hurt a thing. I had my motor height up to about 1 1/2", I have a manual plate, and the water pressure was the same as before, but my water pressure gauge doesn't read over 16 psi anyway, at any time, Russ said that's ok.
    Last edited by Tom Edwards; 06-12-2016 at 08:12 AM.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

Which hull/motor?

14. Member
    Your boat should have a sho prop go back to the dealer make them put the recommended prop on if they refuse call Tim at the factory

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    Which hull/motor?
    He has a 250 SHO on a 721.

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

16. Member
    I'm running a 920 with a sho and 12 inch atlas with a 25 ti sho prop. Mine runs best at 17 to 18 on my gauge or 4.5 on the ruler at the back

17. Member
    The boat also likes to run level while on plane. Yes you need a Yamaha 26P Have hit 80 MPH once (No it was not on the trailer Humminbird do not save speed.
    After your hole shot and boat is start bumping the trim, mine is never over 1/4 on the gauge. JP is never over 16 or 17 on my 10" Atlas.
    Hope this helps.

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

18. Member
    Went out again today and things went great. My and my stepson full livewell said and our gear 72.7 still not getting all of it that I think I can I was around 5500 RPM. Not bad sure is fun to drive nothing like speeding up through turns its like driving a race car. So much fun.

Agree with what EdDavis said... Pick up a T1 25 p. Send it to Mark Croxton and have it blueprinted for best results. Height at 15 should be good on the SHO. Don't overtrim it or it will start bouncing on you. Nose just slightly up. You should be running around 6000. Ed is running in the cooler water at Dale Hollow. I run in southern IL. Average on the 721 should be around 75-76. Best I've hit is 77.1. Ed carries 2 jigs, a spoon and a popper. Plus...he's skinnier. I carry the kitchen sink, a couple Talons and weigh a couple pounds more. Both Ed and I have 721's w/250 SHOs.

20. Member
    I will definitely be getting another prop the Fury is good and would be a great back up but a a t1 done by crouton is on the bucket list. I will have it for the winter but am still trying to cope with the start up costs of breaking in the SHO. Most expensive 10 hours of my life but fun none the less. Thanks again guys for all the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast