avoiding line twist on tubes

How do you guys avoid the line twisting when pitching tubes? I've hooked them as straight as possible and rehooked them till the nose of the tube wont hold the hook. Beginning to believe twist is just part of the tube game.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

2. Member
    The only time I really have a problem with line twist when fishing tubes, is when I'm fishing 6' or deeper, and using light line. When I pitch tubes I'm pitching them into shallow water, or some kind of cover. Neither the shallow water or the cover allow the tube to spiral very much before it comes in contact with something and stops the spiraling.

Completely different story if I'm casting them though. Especially if using an insert tube jig head. I build my own rods, and since line twist isn't as problematic on a casting rod, I built myself a medium light powered casting rod specifically for fishing tubes in deeper open water where tubes really have a chance to spiral on the fall.

I suppose you could do what some who fish a drop shot a lot do, and add a high quality swivel up the line from the bait a bit, but I personally don't like doing that with a drop shot, and certainly wouldn't do it with a tube. I just think it makes them a pain to cast.

3. Member
    Spro Power Swivel

I know it's not common practice to put a swivel on your line when pitching a tube, but if you can muster up the courage to do it, it'll work. This swivel is a quality swivel and I've been using them for a few years now with good results. If you're strictly just pitching the bait then the swivel won't be a problem at all. Just make sure you tie a good knot, and maybe retie a little more often.

4. Banned
    I find that just a slower retrieve will eliminate a lot of twist.

5. Member
    Bassbme:
    Is that casting rod you built actually helping reduce line twist when using tubes with an "insert" jig head in deeper water?

6. Member
    Braid with a flouro leader will reduce/almost eliminate twist. Better option than a swivel.

7. Member
    When I fish Erie and throw tubes all day, you can get serious line twist. I would attach a small but high quality barrel swivel. I would then run a fluorocarbon ~ 3' leader tied directly to the tube. Works real well. Do the same on Chautauqua when I may throw for 1/2 hour.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    When I fish Erie and throw tubes all day, you can get serious line twist. I would attach a small but high quality barrel swivel. I would then run a fluorocarbon ~ 3' leader tied directly to the tube. Works real well. Do the same on Chautauqua when I may throw for 1/2 hour.
    It seems to me this arrangement would be hard to cast, with about 3 ft. of leader dangling from the rod tip before you cast. Maybe you don't cast, and just drop it in the water, which is a great method that I use often.
    Or, maybe you reel the swivel through the tip-top and perhaps one or two more guides, and then cast, but in doing this, the swivel is hitting the guides while going out.??!! Unless you are saying you attach the swivel directly to the eye of the hook.?

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Braid with a flouro leader will reduce/almost eliminate twist. Better option than a swivel.
    This. Though I'm not sure it actually eliminates the line twist as much as the braid just "eats up" the line twist so you don't notice it. Either way, definitely the way to go.

I've also made it a habit of cutting my bait off and letting about a cast-and-a-half's worth of line trail behind the boat on the way back to the ramp at the end of the day for techniques like this one that tend to cause line twist. I do the same on my drop shot setups since I tend to use a much longer leader on those and while the relatively limited twist there doesn't affect the main line, it can definitely mess up a leader.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ydna View Post
    It seems to me this arrangement would be hard to cast, with about 3 ft. of leader dangling from the rod tip before you cast. Maybe you don't cast, and just drop it in the water, which is a great method that I use often.
    Or, maybe you reel the swivel through the tip-top and perhaps one or two more guides, and then cast, but in doing this, the swivel is hitting the guides while going out.??!! Unless you are saying you attach the swivel directly to the eye of the hook.?

For Erie, few casts are needed. I have drifted hundreds of yards on one cast. Admittedly, I will shorten the leader to 2' if I am casting a lot. I do use the micro barrel swivels as well. Those micro swivels normally go through the top guide easily. Do a search for Micro swivels and you may find one that works. Buy good quality swivels. I use swivels that just allow 8# test to be tied on.
    Last edited by Chautauquanuy; 10-03-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead