Buying a 2003 Stratos 185

She looks really clean and not rode hard. Going to have engine compression tested and see what basic maintenance is suggested. This boat has no jack plate but I am not sure I really need one. Does a manual jack plate really gain me that much? Any thoughts on what the best prop pitch would be for this setup? The prop on the boat seems to be pretty clean right now. This is my first real bass boat after many years of waiting. It has a Yamaha 150 VMax on it.

Thanks for any input that you can give an old guy!

2. Member
    I've got the same boat. I run a 23m Yamaha prop. It has good holeshot and midrange, I'm not worried about top end so much. I can get around 60. Never thought I needed a jack plate.

3. Member
    Thank you. I just pulled the trigger on it. I won't be able to get all of the TDW stuff finalized until next week though. Looking forward to it!

I have the same boat with a merc XR6 and I'm running a 23p tempest plus with no jack plate. I'm getting great whole shot and 62 on the top end. I do wish I had a jack plate if for nothing more than getting the cables from touching the back deck
    2016 Phoenix 919
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 225

5. Member
    Bought a new dual console 185 in 2003. Great boat

6. Member
    Thanks for the comments gents! I just got her home this afternoon. I am getting the impeller replaced general service this coming week. I hope to be able to get her out next weekend early. Wish me luck!

7. Member
    I got the same boat with the XR6 ,love the hole shot on it.

8. Member
    Well I have had the complete impeller assembly replaced, fuel filter, new plugs, serviced lower unit, batteries have been charged and topped off with distilled water after a full charge. Power washed off the carpets and exterior after hand washing the hull and the cap, interior. Hope to get out early Friday morning and get some time to know how she feels and acts. Excited!

9. Member
    If you have a dual console be aware that the material inside the glove box is soft. The door hinge may tear where it is attached if your not careful.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish621 View Post
    If you have a dual console be aware that the material inside the glove box is soft. The door hinge may tear where it is attached if your not careful.
    Mine has already had a "FIX" installed to address this :) Thanks for the heads up in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Bought a new dual console 185 in 2003. Great boat
    Same here! Mine has a 150 Evinrude...Fishes much bigger than it is!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebassoutlaw View Post
    Same here! Mine has a 150 Evinrude...Fishes much bigger than it is!
    I have to agree. Took her out for the first times this past Friday and Sunday. Really happy with the ride and how it fished. Could not be happier!