Honda Shadow 750 as a first bike?

I am getting ready to retire at the end of this month. I have signed up to take a motorcycle safety course and am shopping for my first bike.

I am 5' 8" tall and have virtually no motorcycling experience... at least none in the last 45 years.

I looked at a 2010 Honda Shadow Phantom the other day that I really like. What do you think of this as a first bike? They also have a leftover 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 at a great price but it felt a lot heavier and just bigger all over.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

Personally I would go with the Vulcan. Either way don't pay much for any starter bike because once you get the feel of riding in your blood, you'll want something bigger.

I'm getting a lot of push from friends to not buy anything smaller than an 1100, telling me that I will regret it if I buy a 750.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    I'm getting a lot of push from friends to not buy anything smaller than an 1100, telling me that I will regret it if I buy a 750.
    I would agree with them. I ride a HD with a 103 (1700 cc) and my son has a V-Star 1300. His 1300 is quite comfortable to ride and plenty of power. His wife drives an 1100 V-Star and can run with us with no problems.

5. Member
    You did the right thing and signed up for a class and that's the best money you can spend starting out! Now take your time and test ride as many bikes as you can before you make any decisions and see what feels good to you! It's a buyers market and there is thousands of bikes on the market for thousands less than new and have very few miles!
    The very best thing you can do is take your time and feel confident in your purchase having a bike is not like it used to be with so many people texting and or talking on their phones! I just returned to riding after not riding for 25 years and I can't count the number of times I have had close calls from idiots not paying attention to road and other motorists! Remember you have to be on the defensive and ride safe at all times and pay attention to your surroundings!
    good luck!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Perez View Post
    idiots not paying attention to road and other motorists! Remember you have to be on the defensive and ride safe at all times and pay attention to your surroundings!
    good luck!
    Rick
    Amen. Asume every 4 wheeler out there wants to run over you.

7. Member
    Unless just planing trips to dairy queen or steak & shake for bike nights, I agree with your friends look for a bigger bike. if you don't do it now you will be next year. Ride as many as you can see what fits you. Look at all brands and don't discount any of them based on 1 persons opinion.

I am getting ready to retire at the end of this month. I have signed up to take a motorcycle safety course and am shopping for my first bike.

I am 5' 8" tall and have virtually no motorcycling experience... at least none in the last 45 years.

I looked at a 2010 Honda Shadow Phantom the other day that I really like. What do you think of this as a first bike? They also have a leftover 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 at a great price but it felt a lot heavier and just bigger all over.
    Find a good used Honda A.C.E 750 or maybe the 1100. Both will fit your stature and be fairly cheap for a starter bike.

9. Member
    Bought right either of those used will give you a couple years experience and most of your money back when you decide to upgrade.

First Bike? Make sure it is light enough you can pick it up easily by yourself after you tip it over because that WILL happen
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Speaking from past experience here....get something bigger! If you really enjoy riding you will regret it later if you go with the smaller bike. Whatever you do don't listen to b*******51.......being riding since my college days (early 70's) never tip on over or laid one down. Remember on thing while riding.....always be on the defensive, expect the unexpected & don't ride beyond your limitations & you will be fine.

Glenn

12. Member
    ......telling me that I will regret it if I buy a 750.
    unless it's a used 750 Nighthawk. I would think this a great starter bike. Cheap, fast, and durable

http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/10/08...est-used-bikes

13. Member
    The 750 is a good starter bike. But like others have said you will want something bigger within 6-12 months. Your safety program will likely use 250 CC bikes. So even the 750 will seem large after that. Drive defensively.....especially today with all the texting going on. Will you have a group of friends to ride with?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    The 750 is a good starter bike. But like others have said you will want something bigger within 6-12 months. Your safety program will likely use 250 CC bikes. So even the 750 will seem large after that. Drive defensively.....especially today with all the texting going on. Will you have a group of friends to ride with?
    I don't know what the prevailing thought is on a novice riding with a group, but personally I would not want to do it just starting out. In fact, I am not sure I would ever want to be part of the "parades" you see going down the highway two by two. The outside riders look so vulnerable to oncoming traffic with very little safety margin around them.

I took the safety course at the end of July and decided that it would not be advisable for me to take up motorcycling. I could not for the life of me make a controlled right turn. It was a little tough on my ego, but I have gotten over it.

Anyone want to buy a XXXL Scorpion EXO half helmet? Worn twice.

I took the safety course at the end of July and decided that it would not be advisable for me to take up motorcycling. I could not for the life of me make a controlled right turn. It was a little tough on my ego, but I have gotten over it.
    Practice makes perfect.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.