Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mine is in water temp about 95% of the time. Very important when running the Optimax.
    2015 RT188 Mercury 4 Stroke Laser II 21P
    Helix 12/360 Imaging/Dual Helix 10's/Ultrex

I run two pages on my "favorites" page. First is a tri-screen with RPM, Coolant temp and water pressure. The other is Hours, Volts and something else that I never look at. I have systemlink gauges for Speedo (via GPS) trim and fuel level. It is nice to have accurate data.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    As a follow-up to this one, I'm enjoying the Smartcraft more and more with every outing. Quick questions: What coolant temperature range should I be looking for / expecting? Also, what water pressure and fuel pressure ranges should I be looking out for?

Or a more general question would be: Where can I find the recommended ranges for these variables for my engine? It is an Optimax 75 (2011).

Thanks!!

For the best info on water temp you may want to refer to your engines owners manual. If you don't have that info you may want to call the folks at European Marine. My motor pretty well stays in the 140's. I don't believe I've ever seen it get higher except for the time I got in the hydrilla.
    Last edited by krr6581; 07-10-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krr6581 View Post
    For the best info on water temp you may want to refer to your engines owners manual. If you don't have that info you may want to call the folks at European Marine. My motor pretty well stays in the 140's. I don't believe I've ever seen it get higher except for the time I got in the hydrilla.
    Thanks. Yeah, I don't see anything in the Operator's Manual. Will keep researching but would be good to hear from other Optimax 75 owners if someone has already done that research.

Just purchased my mercmonitor after doing a replacement power head. To me is peace of mind to know what your engine temp is and your pressures are while you're riding down the water. Your engine can be screaming hot and you could have run over a bag and it shut off your water supply and you dont know that the engine is overheating. It's like riding down the road without a speedometer and you get a ticket. I think spending a couple of hundred is worth saving thousands in the long run.

7. Member
    I have the SC Tach, like most of you I leave it on temp most of the time. My 115 4 S normally doesn’t get about 135. I don’t run it above idle until it’s in the 120 range. I normally reset the fuel usage each trip instead of relying on the gas gage.

My my two boats prior had the full SC gage package. It’s what I’m used too.

8. Member
    I have mine connected to the NMEA network and display gauge data on my Lowrance HDS screens.

I installed mine after reading about the issue of cold seizing on the optimax. I always let my engine idle until the water temp reaches 120 degrees before accelerating. I keep it on the “water” screen but I also use the “vessel” screen to track fuel usage. I reset “fuel used” at each fill up so I know how much fuel is in the tank. The analog fuel gauge leaves too much fuel in the tank when showing empty and causes too much guessing.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Banned
    I love my Merc Monitor cause I got it for free.

Friend was making some changes to a new rig and didn't need the Merc Monitor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12