Question 4-Stroke Tilt/Trim Limit??

Hi all, I'm posting this for a friend who just took delivery of a new boat last weekend and seems to be confused with an issue. The boat is a 2016 Tracker PT195TXW, no jackplate, with a Mercury 4-Stroke 150. He can trim all the way down, but when trimming/tilting up, the trim motor cuts out before he can raise the outboard all the way up. It does this at the motor, at the shifter, and at the bow pad. It doesn't just stop lifting the motor, it cuts out completely.

As a point of reference, he can't even tilt the motor high enough to engage the safety arms.

He bought the boat from Bass Pro, and called them this AM. He was told it was the limit switch set at the factory. I don't own a Mercury, but this seemed odd to me. My question is, is this accurate? Or is BPS giving him the "I don't know, so this is what I'll tell you" garbage? And, if it is typical run-around, is there a way around this? His big concerns are obviously not being able to put the motor all the way up, but he fishes some skinny water, and his skeg and prop sit down far enough to bump/drag on stumps, rocks, etc.
    As you can imagine, this frustrates him, as he's spent good money on a brand new boat, and now BPS is telling him the outboard is limiting what he can do with it.

I'll try to post his video he took.
    Last edited by The NHBassmaster; 06-02-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Add Video
    thenhbassmaster@gmail.com
    2008 Ranger Z520 - Yamaha Vmax Series 2 250 - Minn Kota - Lowrance

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    For discussions related to ALL Mercury 4 Stroke Engines (including Verado)

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member

Exclamation Exact same issue!!

Quote Originally Posted by The NHBassmaster View Post
    Hi all, I'm posting this for a friend who just took delivery of a new boat last weekend and seems to be confused with an issue. The boat is a 2016 Tracker PT195TXW, no jackplate, with a Mercury 4-Stroke 150. He can trim all the way down, but when trimming/tilting up, the trim motor cuts out before he can raise the outboard all the way up. It does this at the motor, at the shifter, and at the bow pad. It doesn't just stop lifting the motor, it cuts out completely.

As a point of reference, he can't even tilt the motor high enough to engage the safety arms.

He bought the boat from Bass Pro, and called them this AM. He was told it was the limit switch set at the factory. I don't own a Mercury, but this seemed odd to me. My question is, is this accurate? Or is BPS giving him the "I don't know, so this is what I'll tell you" garbage? And, if it is typical run-around, is there a way around this? His big concerns are obviously not being able to put the motor all the way up, but he fishes some skinny water, and his skeg and prop sit down far enough to bump/drag on stumps, rocks, etc.
    As you can imagine, this frustrates him, as he's spent good money on a brand new boat, and now BPS is telling him the outboard is limiting what he can do with it.

I'll try to post his video he took.

I am having this exact same issue...is there a thread that explains the fix?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

4. Member
    Welcome to BBC!

Please see the 4-stroke forum linked in reply above and open a new topic for your engine including engine serial number. Posting protocol is one engine per topic to prevent post hi-jacking.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax