Banned

Trolling Motor on a Pontoon

Got a new 20ft Lowe brand Pontoon from Cabela's. Going to put a trolling motor on the front...Motorguide Xi5 80#. Any recommendations on shaft length? 54" or 60" shaft? Thanks!!

Curious myself. Want to mount an Xi5 on my 22' South Bay. Dealer told me either would work, but that the 60" would be their choice because it would be easier to deploy/stow due to extra shaft length. Makes sense I guess.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

3. Banned
    Either shaft will do. And that's a plenty strong trolling motor, as most use 50# units.

What's difficult is finding a late model pontoon that has enough room for a trolling motor on the front end. Many companies are building the fencing closer to the front end. Bennington has a optional door that allows the trolling motor to lay flat and the door fits over the top.

4. Member
    i use the wireless 50 lb Motorguide, i believe it is a 54 '' shaft.

5. Member
    I have a 80lb thrust Terrova with 54" (I think) shaft on my 24' Xcursion. It came off of my crappie boat. Works good but would be better to have more head to pull it up with. Trade off is that the shorter shaft doesn't stick as far in to the boat when pulled up, which is good. Trolling motor works good pulling crankbaits for crappie.

6. Member
    54 is plenty anymore is really overboard.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

7. Member
    Put a 54 inch Xi5 on my 22ft Sun Catcher G3 and it's length is way enough. It turned my pontoon into a great fishing boat with the anchor mode. Make sure your trailer bow pad bracket doesn't hit the trolling motor. Some pontoon trailers have bow pad brackets that will not allow trolling motors that stick out beyond the bow rim like the Xi5 does.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

8. Member
    Guess I went 'overboard' and got a MinnKota RipTide 80 pound thrust for my Sylvan. It has the remote control and the "anchor" function is amazing.

Get a 'quick release bracket' - MinnKota has them, not sure on Motor Guide. The quick release mount allows easy removal of the trolling motor when you have a
    boatload of people onboard for a boat ride. It's lockable too...

9. Member
    the quick release is nice 

10. Member
    i have a 55# tm om my 18 pontoon,need more as if any breeze kicks up it just don't work

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanp View Post
    i have a 55# tm om my 18 pontoon,need more as if any breeze kicks up it just don't work
    I have a 20' Sylvan and did some research on how many pounds of thrust would be needed for a trolling motor on my boat. 80 pounds was the number... Problem is the extra expensive of two battieries for the 24 volts it needs. Glad I got it but, wow - those trolling motors get pricey!

12. Member
    I use a 52 on my 24' Fisher!
    The problem is there's not much room for it to stow without hanging over the side! If it's moved to the middle then it's always in the way loading and unloading!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe