Thread: Motor height

Motor height

How can you tell if your motor is at the correct height on a pontoon barge?
    My 24' Bentley w/90 Optimax seems like it just runs completely flat and acts like it can't lift the nose at all. Feels like it's digging in the water no matter how you try to trim up the motor. Wondering if the motor height is wrong.

2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

2. Banned
    They say you should be able to see the top of your anticavitation plate through all the splashing water when at a fast throttle run.

Where are you on maximum rpms vs. the published redline? Do you experience any propeller ventilation in a tight turn? Are you propped right?

Bamaman, I running around 5400 but I think the max rpm is around 5800 if I am correct. No real prop slipping when making big radius turns but have not really made a real sharp turn at WOT. Didn't know if motor was at a incorrect height it might actually push down on the front of the barge instead of lifting it some. I will try to observe the plate while running to see where it's at. Thanks for the reply.....
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

4. Member
    i run my 115 4 stroke yamaha on a 22 ft Bennington fishing toon trimmed up to the half way mark on the gauge, front end is slightly elevated that way, i usually only run 3500 to 4000 rpm though, 3500 is a nice cruising speed.

Mines all the way down on 22' w a 115. It lifts loaded or not.
    Sea Ray Laguna 180
    Mercury 115

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    They say you should be able to see the top of your anticavitation plate through all the splashing water when at a fast throttle run.

Where are you on maximum rpms vs. the published redline? Do you experience any propeller ventilation in a tight turn? Are you propped right?
    I agree... At full throttle, look to see if the 'top' plate is visible.