Minn Kota Ulterra Lift Belt broke - less than 24 hours

Total bummer. The trolling motor broke on me already. I think I have less than 24 hours of use on it.

The lift belt on it came off or disconnected or something. Has anyone run into this issue before?

Is this an easy fix? Will Minn Kota replace it if not?

Any ideas on how to fix it would be much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is under warranty take it to an ASC . Yours is the first I have heard of do that but maybe your belt tension was not tight enough or to tight from the factory. In your photo with your hand see the allen screw under your finger that is for belt tension I would not try and change the belt myself at this point take to the ASC and have them replace the belt and set it at the proper tension.

3. Member
    Thanks, that's what I figured I'd have to do. Hopefully it's a simple job for them.

4. Member
    Did it break or pull out of the tensioner in the head?

When it "broke" did it happen while trolling, while deploying/storeing or while stowed and under weigh?

I've been told that if the stamp breaks whole stowed that's all that holds it in place and if underweight the motor could at least partially deploy - and he recommended using a trolling motor "stabilizer" to lock it down on long runs or traveling - just wondering what the real failure modes could be

5. Member
    While trolling.. I went to move it down a little and it came loose. Looks like it just came out off the tensioner on the head.

It wouldn't deploy at all after that. Just kept saying motor error.

6. Member
    As said earlier, take it to an ASC, don't try to work on it yourself.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crc863 View Post
    While trolling.. I went to move it down a little and it came loose. Looks like it just came out off the tensioner on the head.

It wouldn't deploy at all after that. Just kept saying motor error.
    Talked with a buddy tonight and it turns out the story I heard was actually of his.... he has a skiff and hit a good wake and when the boat jarred the belt "broke" (or came loose???) within the head and the motor deployed while he was riding around 30 mph. MinnKota took care of it under warranty and even shipped a unit to a local dealer who had one in stock so that he could get back to his fishing trip (was down in FL for vacation) and MK backfilled the dealers inventory.

He was using a RAM trolling motor stablizier - not sure if he had the pipe clamp type or was using some other attachment to secure the shaft - but apparently it yanked that loose when it "deployed". Must've been a good bump. He's now changed to the new screw clamp attachment from RAM

Makes me a little worried about the robustness of the belt clamp within the head - I'll be picking up a stabilizer as well very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mwardncsu View Post
    Talked with a buddy tonight and it turns out the story I heard was actually of his.... he has a skiff and hit a good wake and when the boat jarred the belt "broke" (or came loose???) within the head and the motor deployed while he was riding around 30 mph. MinnKota took care of it under warranty and even shipped a unit to a local dealer who had one in stock so that he could get back to his fishing trip (was down in FL for vacation) and MK backfilled the dealers inventory.

He was using a RAM trolling motor stablizier - not sure if he had the pipe clamp type or was using some other attachment to secure the shaft - but apparently it yanked that loose when it "deployed". Must've been a good bump. He's now changed to the new screw clamp attachment from RAM

Makes me a little worried about the robustness of the belt clamp within the head - I'll be picking up a stabilizer as well very soon.
    I am using a RAM mount with the medium sized Claw from Ram. I really like it. Gives me the freedom to leave the claw grip loose, and the motor can be deployed and stowed easily, and rest on the claw. In very rough conditions, I can tighten the claw grips. Give it a look.

9. Member
    I got mine fixed under warranty. The tech said it just seems the tension was not set properly from the factory. I haven't had rough conditions yet but are you all having problems with the belt getting un-adjusted from major bumps while cruising?

I was thinking of getting a ram mount but was told the Ulterra doesn't need one.

10. Member
    Hate to bump old threads but just had mine break on the complete opposite end. Didn't know if anyone else had this problem since then. Mine broke on the propeller end on the shaft. I wish there was more information on how to fix it myself.

11. Member
    The belt pulled out of the head on mine first time out, it was repaired under warranty. A few months later I couldn't get the unit to stow, brought it in and the tech said the shaft was bad. That was repaired under warranty as well. Hope it's fixed for good