Smart craft breakin timer

On a 2016 300 XS 1E 053049 what does the timer that is counting down from 240 minutes represent? Why would it be twice the time that my 2015 250 XS was at 120 minutes. I know it represents breakin time but what else.

2. Member
    Nothing else. This computer is simply programmed for a different break in period that was determined necessary by Mercury.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... and the break-in timer ONLY COUNTS DOWN when you are running the engine exactly as recommended for break-in.

Engine must be ABOVE 3500 RPM's, and under heavy load or the counter is not counting down.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1... and the break-in timer ONLY COUNTS DOWN when you are running the engine exactly as recommended for break-in.

Engine must be ABOVE 3500 RPM's, and under heavy load or the counter is not counting down.
    True that ^^
    Is possible to not show time on some boats if you free the hull up..
    Had a 2003 that would not come out of break-in until we trimmed it down to show it was under load.

5. Member
    Thanks all. This one was counting down with engine at idle. Does the double oil stop when the timer runs out or before?
    Last edited by hooken203; 05-29-2016 at 06:11 PM.

6. Member
    When the timer runs out.