Thread: NEWTON NEWS

NEWTON NEWS

newton is shutting down one of the turbines and will will only be running one.. with the second to shut down possibly first of 2017 and plant shut down

2. Member
    I read the Newton newspaper and Newton is my home lake. I haven't heard anything about a complete shut down yet but I know shutting down one unit is true. I'm not saying you're wrong or arguing but I have friends that work there and they haven't said anything about a complete shut down yet. Maybe they were told not to talk as well. Get rid of Obama and keep dumb ass Hillary out of there and it won't shut down. Every power plant in the USA will be down if we get Hillary as president.

AGREED... I do know they are laying a chunk of people off

4. Member
    That will suck for me for sure! That's my home lake and I don't know if I can survive without winter league tournaments.

It would be interesting to see how the lake would change if the power plant shut down and winter fishing ended. How would the lake fish without all the hoards of fishermen in late winter, early spring? It would be a much better lake throughout the summer, I would think.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

I remember when they shut down the plant at La Salle for a year. lake was never the same.

7. Member
    I fish it and things are all ready changing bass as far as I am concerned. They are still shallow and I can't remember ever having as much snot moss as there is now. Lack of current would account for the moss not sure if the consistant water temp from hot to cold arm would account for them still being this shallow though.

8. Member
    The lake is full, there's shoreline grass, reeds, and coon tail everywhere shallow on the lake. As long as the lake is full and they can stay in those reeds they won't leave them. If the lake was about 2 feet low then they would be stacked up on the brush piles and ledges out deep bc that's the only place for them to go. A dnr officer told me they shocked the lake about 3 weeks ago and it was unreal the amount of fish in the reeds. He said every stretch of reeds they shocked turned white there were so many fish. The reeds are what has changed the lake so much. Years ago there weren't any reeds on that lake and now they just get thicker every year. There are reeds on that lake everywhere that the fish can get way back in and never see a bait.
    Last edited by illinoisbassfishin; 05-30-2016 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Type O

9. Member
    I am going to be heading over after Christmas 2017. can any one tell me if the lake will be open? Is their still warm/hot waterer in the lake? Never been their in the winter before, any advice would be nice. Thanks Frank see you on the wat

10. Member
    yes you can fish it . Only time will tell how warm the water will be . One unit is still in operation but it doesn't run 24/7. The lake won't be frozen unless the plant shuts down and there is really cold weather for the next couple weeks . You can't go wrong with a crankbait ,spinnerbait , or jig somewhere on the hot side . It may not be the best plan but I always catch something doing it . The cold water side will be close until 1:00 for duck hunting . I think most of the big ones are out deep on points and drops but you can go a long time without a sniff then load the boat on one spot . If you can handle the dry spells out deep it is worth it .

11. Member
    You can fish it. The one unit pretty much runs all the time. The water temps have been about 48 degrees at the main hot side ramp and up to 65 all the way up the hot arm. Cold side has been 44-48 degrees. I will be there tomorrow 12/23 and on xmas day. I’ll let you know what it’s like.

12. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisbassfishin View Post
    You can fish it. The one unit pretty much runs all the time. The water temps have been about 48 degrees at the main hot side ramp and up to 65 all the way up the hot arm. Cold side has been 44-48 degrees. I will be there tomorrow 12/23 and on xmas day. I’ll let you know what it’s like.
    Good luck!
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

13. Member
    hi temp today 58 clear up the hot . stack smoking but I think just are running it not pumping it up. Fishing was slow.

14. Member
    I got the same results yesterday as stratosjoe. We fished from 11:30-3-45 and caught 5 bass. No keepers. I would say
    that they had just fired the plant up though. My friend was there Friday and said it was 48 degrees all the way up to the buoys and yesterday I got 61 all the way up to the buoys so the water was warming up compared to the day before. Temps are always sporadic because of the power plant not always running these days and that’s why it’s tougher now. One day it could be 65 all the way up and only 50 in that same spot the very next day. That really messes with the fish.

15. Member
    we were there the 20th and 21st and destroyed them.. Fished from 930-430 Weds and had 35 total with 8 keepers over 18.5" with big of 5.55..
    Thurs we didnt catch the size, but we had 15 fish in the first 18 mins on the first area we hit, but still ended with 45 fish or so with 6 keepers with a 4.23 being the biggest..
    Water was 52.6 weds and dropped to 48ish and we caught fish from 44-48..
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

16. Member
    couple good days. well done