Thread: Mahi madness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Nice catch. One of my favorite fish to eat. Where do you go out of? We frequently visit North Topsail.

Either Beaufort or Bogue Inlet. I'm closer to Bogue but prefer going out of Beaufort. It puts you closer to areas like Big Rock and the East side plus it's easier to run out of than Bogue.
    2019 Blackjack 256
    Mercury Verado 350

3. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PATRO View Post
    Either Beaufort or Bogue Inlet. I'm closer to Bogue but prefer going out of Beaufort. It puts you closer to areas like Big Rock and the East side plus it's easier to run out of than Bogue.
    I was hoping the answer to this question wasn't Oregon.

Never been out of that one thankfully. However Bogue Inlet is very shallow and with the typical SW summer winds and an outgoing tide it will make most everyone turn around. Waves will be crashing all the way across the inlet. Every year there are usually a couple boats that get turned over in that inlet.
    2019 Blackjack 256
    Mercury Verado 350

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PATRO View Post
    Bluefin or Yellowfin?

Either one you will need to find a charter up in the Outer Banks. We don't get many YF or BF down in this area. Some winters there will be a decent BF bite here but most are caught off Oregon Inlet along with YF in the summer.

Check with the Oregon Inlet fishing center. They have a fleet of excellent charters that can out you on the fish.

Here is a list of their offshore charters. I follow True Grit on FB and he usually puts fish on the deck.

http://m.oregon-inlet.com/435589?t=k...7rhjpsg53dhhh1
    Honestly I'd love to get a couple hundred pound bluefin not wanting to be greedy and say 500 or anything that big but a bunch of yellowfin and some Mahi would be a prefect trip for me. Id rather for now get numbers than take turns on one fish. I'll check out the link you posted that's one heck of a boat ture grit has there wow.

Nice catch - some of best grilling fish there is.. How far out you going? Trolling?
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

These were caught approx. 30 miles out of Beaufort Inlet, between the 90' drop and Big Rock. We were trolling medium ballyhoo behind sea witches. The bigger mahi are pretty much gone for the year, small slingers are still around but scattered.
    2019 Blackjack 256
    Mercury Verado 350

Suppose to be heading out this weekend with a friend.. We go out of Southport though and generally run out past Frying Pan Tower then out to 100' to start trolling.. Hopefully the seas will settle.. Thanks.
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

9. Member
    Not a bad hall lads!! good day out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12