Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    whats the latest on this?

2. Member
    Check if the wheels are hubcentric. If they are not, get a spacer or new wheels that are. If the wheel hub diameter doesn't match the trailer hubs, it would match the symptoms perfectly.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Check to see if its a bent wheel or have your dealer to check the tightness of your torsion arms. The same thing happened to me and it was driving me nuts. It ended up being a loose torsion arm that needing torquing to the appropriate tightness.

4. Member
    I am patiently watching because i have the same thing occurring..... As in Identical.

Another thing I have witnessed. Put a straight edge across the back tires. I have seen them shake cause it's scrubbing a tire
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    Check if the wheels are hubcentric. If they are not, get a spacer or new wheels that are. If the wheel hub diameter doesn't match the trailer hubs, it would match the symptoms perfectly.
    I had a vibration and unusual tire wear patterns.
    Both wheels on my single axle trailer had the "center of the wheel that wasn't in the center". You could see it visually once the trailer was jacked up and I spun the wheel while using a something as a reference pointer next to the tire. I put new tires on, and did the same jack it up and spin it test, and got the exact result. I thought "what are the odds". I put a pointer up against the wheel, and it was the wheel wobbling, not the tire.

I had a F150 that had an intermittent vibration. The Ford dealer "force" balanced the tires and seemed to help but was still slightly noticeable. They told me they drove the truck and it was perfect, but I could still tell. Fast forward about 20K miles and the transmission went out and once it was changed the vibration was gone. Like some others have said it could very well be in the drivetrain somewhere.

8. Member
    My F150 has a clutch pack sticking the limited slip. It does it worse when towing the boat. I can feel it even more when turning but their is a slight vibration at hwy speed. It makes the TM vibrate a little.

I need to get that repaired.

Try driving slow in a parking lot and make hard turns left and right and see if you can hear or feel and popping from the rear end. It is a common problem with Ford.

Greg

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARK Ranger View Post
    How do I check for a sticking brake caliper on the boat trailer?
    I guess you could jack up the trailer while connected to the truck and spin the wheels to see if its dragging. from there, it gets tricky checking the brakes with the actuator, but you can safely do it

10. Member
    Ran a few checks today. Raised up each wheel and checked to see if rims or tires are good and round up and down and in and out. Fixed a point and then rolled the wheel. Rims were close to perfect. One tire had about a 6 to 10" long place that was what appeared to be a 1/8 flat place. Was hard to measure but this tire would move more than all the others. I would say none of them varied a 1/16". I was using one of the back up on jacks ramps that I just bought. Get one if you do not have. Great. I was using the truck to back up on it and the electrical valve worked good. All of my tires would spin very free when up on the ramp. I shut the truck off but the brake was 100 % compressed and the wheels turned good. Does not look like any calipers are sticking??? I did check the brakes by disconnection the lights and it did lock up at about 3/4 of the way compressed.( do I need to bleed)

11. Member
    Check your universal joints and carrier bearing in the truck drivetrain. Especially if you can feel the vibration in the cab while driving.
    Dad said "That boy's a fishin fool"
    2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Power(Ifn you wanna go it's 6 in a row)
    2009 Ranger 208VX Merc 225 Pro XS

where the tires road force balance it is just like they are on the vehicle

13. Member
    switch that one odd tire out with your spare and run it down the road again? still just guessing
    Quote Originally Posted by ARK Ranger View Post
    Ran a few checks today. Raised up each wheel and checked to see if rims or tires are good and round up and down and in and out. Fixed a point and then rolled the wheel. Rims were close to perfect. One tire had about a 6 to 10" long place that was what appeared to be a 1/8 flat place. Was hard to measure but this tire would move more than all the others. I would say none of them varied a 1/16". I was using one of the back up on jacks ramps that I just bought. Get one if you do not have. Great. I was using the truck to back up on it and the electrical valve worked good. All of my tires would spin very free when up on the ramp. I shut the truck off but the brake was 100 % compressed and the wheels turned good. Does not look like any calipers are sticking??? I did check the brakes by disconnection the lights and it did lock up at about 3/4 of the way compressed.( do I need to bleed)

Cheap fix......don't drive 65. In all seriousness a mechanic explained a shimmy to me in this way. Everything on your car is vibrating as you drive. They vibrate at different frequencies. A noticeable vibration at an exact speed, for me it was my 72 Camaro at 57 MPH, is when multiple frequencies align. According to him don't worry about it, I didn't and she held together just fine for years.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

15. Member
    My 2008 ranger z520 and trailer did the sabe thing. I tried everything. Tire psi,balancing,rotation and new tires. Never helped. What was weird. It would do at the exact same speed. If I changed the psi it would change when it did as far as mph. Drove me nuts.

16. Moderator
    Think it could be the way the air is flowing around the truck and the boat ?
    Cross winds, headwinds ect...I think your chasing aerodynamics that you will not find until you go to a wind tunnel with her! $$$

17. Member
    I currently have the vibration issue too. 2002 518 on a tandem. I am replacing the entire coupler, shackles,bolts bushings and break pads if necessary. Obviously I will bleed the brakes too. When done I am going to have all tires rebalanced. I will let you know how it goes.

I have a feeling the shackle replacement will fix it. I noticed the rear right was worn a lot more than the others. Have you checked your shackles for wear?

I just blew a rear tire on my tandem axle Triton Trailer, the whole rig is 12 months old and I too had this vibration at certain speeds and swear it would come and go. After the tire exploded on the freeway yesterday and the spare was fitted, no vibration at all so looks like i found the culprit. Previously I had all tires removed, balanced and checked for out of round and the one that blew was the worst of the 4 so maybe not a coincidence.

It blew at 60, no warning just let go and here is the result in the picture.

tyre3.jpg
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

19. Member
    I Have a 2016 Ford F150. I have a vibration at 65 to 70mph after 70 it goes away. and it does not do it when i pulling the boat with my E350 van. I went on the ford F150 message board and i guess alot guys have the same issue when towing. I also had the truck and boat tires re balance. I also made sure my boat trailer is level. If you figure it out please share. it drives me nuts!
    2002 Ranger 195vs
    2013 - 200hp Mercury Pro XS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmusky View Post
    I Have a 2016 Ford F150. I have a vibration at 65 to 70mph after 70 it goes away. and it does not do it when i pulling the boat with my E350 van. I went on the ford F150 message board and i guess alot guys have the same issue when towing. I also had the truck and boat tires re balance. I also made sure my boat trailer is level. If you figure it out please share. it drives me nuts!
    I now have a 2018 F150 Have not pulled my boat yet. I solved most of my problem on my old 2013 F150. Not all but at least say 85%. I had a blow out on one of my tires. After changing the tire out I noticed a difference in the vibration. It was so bad that sometimes the TM would bounce. I looked at my tires(trailer) and they were very close to 5 years old. I bought a new set. When I got them I had them balanced . A vibration was still there at the 65. I went back and checked the roundness of the new tires like I discussed in the early part of this thread. One was out of round. I used that tire as a spare and got a new one. Again it still has a very minor vibration but much better. My opinion was it was the boat trailer tires. Ive been hearing about these Goodyear Endurance tires. A lot of guys on BBC really like them. That may be my next move.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12