Help with 3D imaging

I seem to be getting some prop wash on my 3d imaging think. It shows up on the down imaging also, but the side scan isn't bad so im kind of at a loss. Do I need to move the transducer up some, or re-position it all together? Images are from yesterday, I forgot to take a down shot but you can see on the 3d image the trail. Sometimes its pretty bad, others not so much. Any help would be great!

http://

2016 Tracker 195 TXW
    Merc 4S 150HP
    Trophy Plus 23p
    Mercury moniter Lvl 1
    HDS 12 Gen 3/ Totalscan -Bow
    HDS 12 Gen 3/ Airmar Tm150 / 3D- Console
    Hydrowave V2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb 24v
    10cc Black light LED's deck & rub rail

2. Member
    I dont have experience with the 3d, but the white in the water column to me looks like the thermocline.

My experience with my 3D unit is almost the same as yours. If my memory serves me right I adjusted my surface clarity or one of those settings to help out. I think I might have adjusted it to medium. I'm at work at the moment so I cant look. I have mine off the back of the transom. Your gonna pic up the water bubbles the good thing is it colors them blue and you can adjust most of it out. You wont get all of it, at least I haven't been able to.

I posted some pics here you can see for your self. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=715404&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by SirChadwick View Post
    My experience with my 3D unit is almost the same as yours. If my memory serves me right I adjusted my surface clarity or one of those settings to help out. I think I might have adjusted it to medium. I'm at work at the moment so I cant look. I have mine off the back of the transom. Your gonna pic up the water bubbles the good thing is it colors them blue and you can adjust most of it out. You wont get all of it, at least I haven't been able to.
    Ya I have tried adjusting the clarity and noise reject, but it didn't help too much. Today I raised it up about 2-3 inches and will see if that helps any. I'm thinking that in the lower position it may be picking up some turbulent water coming of the hull maybe. I will take some more pics and see if it helped any.
    2016 Tracker 195 TXW
    Merc 4S 150HP
    Trophy Plus 23p
    Mercury moniter Lvl 1
    Hydrowave V2

6. Member
    My 3D does the exact same thing... I feel its a joke myself. I do however feel the structure scan with the 3D transducer is a lot clearer. Lowrance has a long way to go to make the 3D work...
    I've tried everything there is to try and I get the same results.
    I can drive right next to standing timber and have the 3D on and nothing shows up then switch to the SS and there it is clear as a bell... Hopefully they get it figured out.

7. Member
    Is it just an optical illusion or is your transducer pointed down at an angle? It also appears to be functioning as a skimmer, picking up turbulence from the boat hull (rivets?)

I have it set to when running about 4 mph it is parallel to the lake bottom. Just looks pointed due too storage height and pictures angle. I did move it up about a inch and helped some but any more would be above the 2d skimmer. I am planning on getting a shoot thru ducer for in the bilge to read while on plane, and getting a tm150 for off plane and mounting it in a different location. Then I should be able to raise the SS ducer some more and see how that does.
    2016 Tracker 195 TXW
    Merc 4S 150HP
    Trophy Plus 23p
    Mercury moniter Lvl 1
    Hydrowave V2

9. Member
    I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm wondering if it's really prop wash because the transducer is in front of the lower unit.

If that is the case then what we see is maybe air bubbles passing down the hull?

Could you transfer some weight to the front or maybe scan at half the speed that you are using now to get more hull in the water?

10. Member
    Have any of you guys figured this out? I just installed a 3D unit on my 175TXW and I'm having the same problem.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyghtryder_9 View Post
    I have it set to when running about 4 mph it is parallel to the lake bottom. Just looks pointed due too storage height and pictures angle. I did move it up about a inch and helped some but any more would be above the 2d skimmer. I am planning on getting a shoot thru ducer for in the bilge to read while on plane, and getting a tm150 for off plane and mounting it in a different location. Then I should be able to raise the SS ducer some more and see how that does.
    Since boats tend to nose up at low speed, you want the back of the transducer tilted upward relative to the bottom of the boat, if your goal is to have the transducer parallel to the bottom when graphing.

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Is there a rake in front of the 3d ducer? Also I'm gonna piggy back off of 518's comments about mounting....lowrance recommends that the skimmer duper be mounted on the starboard side duce to prop rotation, couldn't find that recommendation in the 3D manual.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

13. Member
    I guess you have played with the sensitivity settings? I can eleminate my prop wash by reducing the sensitivity (still enough to see fish).

14. Member
    I've haven't played with the sensitivity much so I'll check it and update accordingly. Here's a pic of my graph in the mean time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    Target Sensitivity... Lower it to A-29. Wish it was easier to post videos on here without YouTube. If anyone has a way to do that through an Android device let me know.

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cgesling View Post
    If anyone has a way to do that through an Android device let me know.
    I believe that you can upload it to your Google Drive account and then send out the link or post it here for others to watch....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by cgesling View Post
    Target Sensitivity... Lower it to A-29. Wish it was easier to post videos on here without YouTube. If anyone has a way to do that through an Android device let me know.
    As he said. You will still pick up the bait balls without clutter...
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

18. Member
    I had to lower mine to A-70 in order to remove the screen clutter. I'm not sure this setting is too low to pick up anything else. I did verify that there wasn't cavitation around the transducer.