Transducer for transom mount with 93s

Hello everyone,
    I have just bought a 93sv and love it, even though I still don't know how to use everything. I bought it to be mounted up front on the trolling motor, However I would like to buy another bail mount, power cord and a transom mount transducer so I can swap the unit back and forth. I would love to be able to use the side view while putting around looking for new fishing areas. The question is, should I go with the gt52-tm that came with the 93sv or would I be better able to distinguish more detail with a different transducer? Any Information would be welcomed. I read somewhere the 93sv is somewhat limited to frequencies that it can use or process, I am not sure about that but if someone knows that would also be helpful. Would hate to spend extra money on a transducer that the unit could not take full advantage of. Thank You for time in responding to these questions. I know most of you have better thing to do.
    Shelfish

2. Member
    I have the GT51 and think it does pretty good on sidevu, but everything I have read says the GT52 is better in shallower water - say under 200 feet or so.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Member
    Thank you Larry, does anyonelse have an opinion. I am trying to give my better half some ideas for fathers day.

4. Member
    My only experience is similar to what you have already as my 93 is employed on the TM only. Sounds like a Todd or Troy type question to me. They seem to have the most techie info and are able to share. If all else fails, call Garmin. Surely one of the support folks could talk you thru different scenarios.

5. Banned
    IMO the gt51 is the most powerful. If you run it in CHIRP 245-275 you will really see some good results with great range. the gt52 will give you better fish returns but slightly less structure detail. the general consensus is to go with the gt52 in 150 ft or less. that's not to say you can't use something else. You have to decide what works best for you

6. Member
    Take a look at the sonar images threads at the top of this forum. I have posted several side and down view screen captures along with some 2D stuff. Some are in deeper salt water and the most recent are in shallow fresh water. Others have posted shots using different transducers including the GT52.

I chose the 51 mainly because I often fish in saltwater water that is 300 ft + looking for structure, so I needed the extra power.

7. Member
    Look for posts by lwinchester. I think he posted some tech specs comparing different transducers. I seem to recall he thought the GT50 would do the best on sideview based on the beam widths.