Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    If this little light is illegal what about those big spot lights that the tugs use when pushing barges up the river at night.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Not a fan, since some guys drive around the launch site with this on... blinding everyone else.
    ^^^^This!

I hate headlights on boats....especially people that don't turn them off when passing them at night. I fish lots at night during the summer and hate seeing them on boats.

Well, isn't the speed limit only 5 mph from sunset to sunrise anyway ? I can see the use of them for loading tho.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

I have a nice handheld spot that I use , can pull trigger to turn off and on when needed , but I dont have a problem with others using them .

5. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    If this little light is illegal what about those big spot lights that the tugs use when pushing barges up the river at night.
    USCG rule 20.
    No other lights to be displayed but the required navigation lights.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    USCG rule 20.
    This would include blacklights...

7. Member
    It would be crazy scary if tugs pushing barges didnt use a spot light.

8. Member
    Ive never used a mounted white light like mentioned but I always use a hand held spot light. If im running at night I constantly scan the bank and water for logs etc. I also light up any boats im looking to pass or that are oncoming. I dont hold it on them or anything as I dont want to blind them. I however want to make sure Joe or whomever is out partying on his cruiser paying very little attention to the water knows im coming.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Not a fan, since some guys drive around the launch site with this on... blinding everyone else.
    You mean kinda like the idiots that need their headlights turned on their truck to load their boat???? LMAO!!!!!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

10. Member
    Lights on boats are a good thing....however we can't control the Idiots behind the Switches!!!
    Few people have any respect for others now days.....same on the highway
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

11. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    This would include blacklights...
    If underway yes.

12. Member
    Apparently most of you guys are not duck hunters . With out spot lights at night there would be a lot more guys driving up on the bank,into logs and stumps . I have been ducking hunting on the Mississippi River for almost 30 years now there is no way in hell you can go out on that river at night with out one you would be dead . Run into a wing dam and your done . It’s just makes good sense to have a good spot light of some sort. Places like lake of the Ozark not so much there are plenty of private bank lighting going on it would only make it worse . Out in the boonies you better have one .

A close up of the actual unit and install would be very useful. Can't really tell anything from the video other than it's a light.

14. Member

I was out fishing in very heavy fog in a part of the lake that does not often get large boat traffic. Scared the crap out of me when a large barge being pushed by a tug appeared out of the fog! Took a couple seconds to figure out what was coming at me...

I have one mounted on my basscat, and only turn it on long enough to see the next bouy running the boat lanes on lake Fork, also never when someone is coming towards me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    USCG rule 20.
    It is also illegal to go 1 MPH over the speed limit in your vehicle or change lanes without a turn signal. Adding rub rail navigation lights are also not in compliance with COLREGS as are your factory navigation light covers once they become faded. I would bet at some point all of us have violated at least one of the above. It is more about using things safely and courteously than meeting the letter of the law. I have been a licensed charter boat captain for over 30 years and for one appreciate someone attempting to operate "their" vessel more safely. If the light impairs my ability to navigate I will gladly come off plan until they pass.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post

I was out fishing in very heavy fog in a part of the lake that does not often get large boat traffic. Scared the crap out of me when a large barge being pushed by a tug appeared out of the fog! Took a couple seconds to figure out what was coming at me...
    Yup.... its scary as crap as the barge the tug is pushing is so long that you cant hear the tug until the barge has started passing you.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ray View Post
    It is also illegal to go 1 MPH over the speed limit in your vehicle or change lanes without a turn signal. Adding rub rail navigation lights are also not in compliance with COLREGS as are your factory navigation light covers once they become faded. I would bet at some point all of us have violated at least one of the above. It is more about using things safely and courteously than meeting the letter of the law. I have been a licensed charter boat captain for over 30 years and for one appreciate someone attempting to operate "their" vessel more safely. If the light impairs my ability to navigate I will gladly come off plan until they pass.
    Exactly.... To me it just comes down to common sense. You must have nav lights displayed... you must have an anchor light displayed. Run at a safe speed as per the conditions. If using a running or spot light dont blind people.

I would prefer to nit pick the guy who runs at midnight and has no idea where the shipping lane is on the river than complain he has rub rail nav lights.

19. Member
    (b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

Pretty simple to me, there is an exception to the rule. As I read the rule above, it is fine to use other lights as long as they do NOT impair the visibility of the Navigational Lights or the reason for the Navigational lights or blind yourself or someone else from keeping a look out. They are legal as long as the other lights are visible, not impaired or that your not an idiot and blinding yourself or someone else.

And there is no speed limit on most Federal Navigational Waterways. Here in Ohio, all of the DNR Waterways are limited to no wake after Sunset.

Come to Lake Hamilton on any given Summer night. See all the pretty pontoons with all their LED lights and dock lights on running down the lake wide open. And you haven't lived until you run into one of the many idiots (or they run into you) driving bass boats with absolutely NO lights on. Navigation, LED, or otherwise.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast