Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I have been using the Cal Coast culling clips (bought off TW) since early spring with no issues. The review on TW say others have been losing fish but between my tournaments and my son's tournaments we have not lost a single fish. All our fish are Large mouth, not sure if that is why they have worked for us.

2. Member
    Never used culling clips or anything, 5 fish limit, pretty easy to figure out which fish to pull out, and it's not hard to get a fish out of a livewell to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC86 View Post
    Never used culling clips or anything, 5 fish limit, pretty easy to figure out which fish to pull out, and it's not hard to get a fish out of a livewell to begin with.
    Largemouth are easy - smallmouth are a different story.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Fish View Post
    I use these with great success. You run the soft round rubber part through the outer gill plate and attach the clip back to itself. No piercing of the fish. TW used to carry them not sure why they don't anymore.

I have been using those (without the float) for years and have never lost a fish due to touching the gill. I have just bought off TW the TH Marine clip on type. Going to see how they work otherwise will just stay with these.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    I have been using those (without the float) for years and have never lost a fish due to touching the gill. I have just bought off TW the TH Marine clip on type. Going to see how they work otherwise will just stay with these.
    I personally don't like the floats because the smallies will get them tangled and they tend to flip out when that happens. I've had better luck with just the colored tubing on the clips.

6. Member
    I have used both the Cal Coast and the Accu-cull clips, and both work great. The accu-cull is smaller, but not as robust and really small fish would shake out of them on occasion. Not often, but maybe 30% of the less then 1.5lbers would come off. The original version of the Accu-cull clips were less effective, not sure if the changed the design or manufacturer at some point, but they work better now than the first set I used years and years ago.

I really like the Cal Coast clips, and have yet to lose a fish, both SM and LM. I heard there was a design feature that was impacting small smallmouth, and that has since been removed. Not sure if this is true or not. I weigh or beam my fish with both clip styles and haven't had problems with them holding up or staying put.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    On a similar note this is why I am against the large gauge hooks with huge barbs. You see guys all the time punching out 5/0 thick gauge jigs / hooks that have barbs which could tear your MCL out. I cant imagine that a fish anatomy is much different than that of ours. If you completely sever a tendon / ligament its not just growing back. Do that to a bass and whos to say its mouth ever works correctly again and allows it to feed.

No im not some nut whos against fishing but have seen some hooks etc that I just feel are a bit excessive and cause more damage than needed. On top of that the time it takes to unhook the fish to me is a turnoff. Maybe if I made a living on the BASS circuit I would feel differently . I don't so here you go.

8. Member
    Does procull still make those? Cause I don’t see them anymore. I only see puncture clips now from them. I had the colored none float ones and always get asked about them.
    Nitro z21

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    The companies claim is that it almost puts them in a state of semi-sedation and actually has a lower stress effect than if they are loose and allowed to thrash around. I'm not claiming to be a biologist here or anything. Just do some reading on their website and conclude what you will for yourself. I wish I REALLY knew if it stressed them more or less. I can only tell you from my experience that in minimizes handling and when I unzip the bags and let them slide into my weigh bag they are lively as all get out.
    These things work. I agree it seems to put them to sleep almost but they are very lively at weigh in. Also they don't beat against the side of the livewell near as bad while running.
    Current: 2014 Sportsman Masters 207/150 Yamaha
    9 previous Rangers

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Does procull still make those? Cause I don’t see them anymore. I only see puncture clips now from them. I had the colored none float ones and always get asked about them.
    http://www.basstacklemaster.com/category-s/302332.htm
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

11. Member
    Clip N Cull Works great search them on the internet.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by my47ply View Post
    Clip N Cull Works great search them on the internet.
    For those using the clip type tags, are you using a clip to hold the fish while weighing or weighing them in a bag so that you don't pierce them while weighing them?

Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    For those using the clip type tags, are you using a clip to hold the fish while weighing or weighing them in a bag so that you don't pierce them while weighing them?
    I use an accucull mini lip grip on my scale and cull beam - just like the guys on MLF use.

14. Member
    I've experimented with the ProCull and the Cali Cull..... I had fish die with the Cali Cull. It happened twice. I'm not 100% sure the Cali Cull was to blame but I have them on double secret probation. The ProCull concerned me at first because of the gill contact but I have had zero problems with them so far.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I use an accucull mini lip grip on my scale and cull beam - just like the guys on MLF use.
    Makes sense that one would have to use a grip like this for their scale or the type of culling marker/ring would be a moot point.

We have a new system that will debut in 2018 that is unlike anything else on the market currently. We have had several elite and flw tour anglers using it and they LOVE IT! Details to follow soon.........

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    We have a new system that will debut in 2018 that is unlike anything else on the market currently. We have had several elite and flw tour anglers using it and they LOVE IT! Details to follow soon.........
    Can't wait to see it

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I'm not sure I believe that the whole never heals up. We put holes in fishes' mouths with the hooks we use to catch them with and we assume, and hope, that this causes no problems for the fish.
    Hmmmmm

Ive put 6 holes in a fishes mouth at a time. What's one more?

I actuwlly lost a BOAT at Table Rock in 2015 because of the clip style tags. Freaking POS BROKE! Causing me to lose a fish off the boat seconds before weigh in, trying to wrestle a 4 pounder into the sack. Now, it's the good old poke-a-hole rings for me! $30,000 dollar mistake.

ITS A FISH!!!

ITS LUCKY I DONT FREAKING EAT IT!!!!!

19. Banned
    anyone tried the Qwik 8 Bait Co tags?

https://www.facebook.com/Qwik8BaitCo...vlFbZXE-mopemA

20. Banned
    ARe traditional cull tags really this big of a deal and harm to the fish?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast