Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I'm not sure I believe that the whole never heals up. We put holes in fishes' mouths with the hooks we use to catch them with and we assume, and hope, that this causes no problems for the fish.
    Well, I really thought the hole DID heal up but when I brought up the conversation with my buddy, he said no.. He is a long time bass guy and biologist for Dept. of Interior.. involved with a lot of studies,etc. A hook for the most part does not leave a hole, rather piercing.. I am talking about the thru hole you see where guys punch clips in, especially in the wrong spot.
    LT - DCFD

Quote Originally Posted by dcfdpipeman View Post
    Well, I really thought the hole DID heal up but when I brought up the conversation with my buddy, he said no.. He is a long time bass guy and biologist for Dept. of Interior.. involved with a lot of studies,etc. A hook for the most part does not leave a hole, rather piercing.. I am talking about the thru hole you see where guys punch clips in, especially in the wrong spot.
    If that was all it did was poke a hole the size of the clip it very well might heel up.. However most times depending on placement and size of the fish-- that small hole turns out to be a LARGE tear. Especially if they are pulled in and out of the well several times to cull..

How do the clipless culls attach
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

4. Member

5. Member
    I still do not run culling tags i weigh fish and keep my smallest in seperate livewell then i know which ones gotta go.
    i have seen a guy who had made clips that clipped on the fish at top fin seemed to work well without damaging fish only thing is had the struggle of getting fish from well i think alot of guys run cull tags just gor ease of pulling fish from well which is bs if ask me

6. Member
    This is still stupid to me. Most culling clips are roughly the size of a heavy duty hook. The argument that a hook hole will heal vs a culling tag hole makes zero sense to me.. In reality there is probably more damage done when flipping a fish to the boat and letting it flop around on the carpet. Whats next, hookless lures?

Quote Originally Posted by DelcoSol View Post
    This is still stupid to me. Most culling clips are roughly the size of a heavy duty hook. The argument that a hook hole will heal vs a culling tag hole makes zero sense to me.. In reality there is probably more damage done when flipping a fish to the boat and letting it flop around on the carpet. Whats next, hookless lures?
    Seriously? Not even close. I have a set of Ardents and another brand. A hook the same diameter as these culling clips would be heavy duty saltwater. I'm just trying to find a better solution for me and not trying to save the world

Also, my livewell is super deep and it's very hard to get fish out of unless the boat is pulled/drained. I don't have a pump out either. Which is why I use a culling straps and only during tournaments. Most of the time I have a co-angler and putting the small fish on the "other" side can't happen..
    LT - DCFD

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfdpipeman View Post
    Seriously? Not even close. I have a set of Ardents and another brand. A hook the same diameter as these culling clips would be heavy duty saltwater. I'm just trying to find a better solution for me and not trying to save the world

Also, my livewell is super deep and it's very hard to get fish out of unless the boat is pulled/drained. I don't have a pump out either. Which is why I use a culling straps and only during tournaments. Most of the time I have a co-angler and putting the small fish on the "other" side can't happen..
    Why not make a cull clip that is the same diameter as a hook. If the hook will hold up to pulling a fish out of the water, I assume one could be made to hook a small colored piece of tubing onto a fish.

We've all seen damage to the fish like shown in the pic and we know why it happens, also shown in the pic. I don't know about you, but it seems I catch them like this all the time now, especially with in a couple of miles of weigh-in sites.

It does seem as those tear's don't heal up as quickly as say a hole made by a hook. Tears like that certainly don't help a fish feed either. Think about it. When a Bass opens his mouth to eat prey, it's not just opening and engulfing it. The bass is actually flaring its gills and sucking the prey in. Kind of like a vacuum. How well do you think your vacuum would suck something up if there was a long tear in the bag.

We've also seen bass with pretty bad damage to the sides of their mouth's from hooks and how the joint never even heals back together again.

Not good and I don't mean to lecture, but we all need to give some extra thought and effort into how we handle our bass, the creature we spend so much damned time, effort and money chasing in order to catch them. We also need some genius to come up with something better than we have now for keeping bass in a live well healthy and unharmed. If not, it'll come back and bite us in the ass later. (And there's a lot of lakes in this country where that's already happening.)
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

10. Member
    Just bought the accu cull system with the tags that clip to the bottom jaw. Tried them out yesterday. They worked ok, had one fall off the fish in the livewell but they other 4 stayed on the entire day. Was culling by 0800. I would rather one fall off and have to re weigh and tag then stick a whole in the jaw. I really wish there was more attention payed to fish care, that includes guys who don't clean their livewell. I love the idea MLF has.

Many seem to like the MLF style, but honestly can't see BASS, FLW or even most local tournys going to that. No one wants to give up what they think is "their spot" to a "neutral" referee....who has a pocket gps with him !!

Quote Originally Posted by liv4bassin View Post
    Many seem to like the MLF style, but honestly can't see BASS, FLW or even most local tournys going to that. No one wants to give up what they think is "their spot" to a "neutral" referee....who has a pocket gps with him !!
    Really_____________ So the marshal riding with the Elite's is not allowed to carry a "pocket GPS" The camera crew that is filming the top finishers is not showing where they are and neither is Zona and crew showing a map of the lake as to exactly where they are and what they are doing.

Someone on here posted a video from somewhere out west I think about the proper place to put the cull tag through the mouth. Pierce the mouth in the hard spot at the front of the mouth instead of the thin part in the side and don't pull them all the way out of the water by the clip. I watched that video a few times and have been following the advice and haven't torn a gash in a single fish's mouth since. Here is the link:

Last edited by besnyde; 05-22-2016 at 07:47 PM.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by besnyde View Post
    Someone on here posted a video from somewhere out west I think about the proper place to put the cull tag through the mouth. Pierce the mouth in the hard spot at the front of the mouth instead of the thin part in the side and don't pull them all the way out of the water by the clip. I watched that video a few times and have been following the advice and haven't torn a gash in a single fish's mouth since. Here is the link:

Yes, me too.. I haven't seen any additional damage doing it this way. I think Aaron Martens made a similar video.. or another top pro..

I've been searching for a better metal wire.. I also sharpen my tips so I make a cleaner intrusion..
    LT - DCFD

I just use colored paper clips...bought a bag of 100 at dollar store. Makes a small piercing on top off the lip, i think that when you grab the cull tag and pull the fish out it rips more.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    This is similar to the one I use. Clips are the same,but mine have plastic-like rope.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Accu_...ACULLECON.html
    That's what I've been using for over 2 years now. Not one problem with them. Never came off a fish. There are no teeth on the clips, and the clips do no close all the way. Maybe 1-2mm gap. But they are very stiff to open. Unless they're putting the clip in the wrong spot of the fish is just tiny to begin with.

17. Member
    You want to know why I use cull rings? I use the above small puncture system and don't yank the fish around. I seldom catch a fish larger than 4 pounds in a tournament. I used to not use cull rings, but I got tired of getting stuck with fins trying to catch a damn bass in my livewells.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    You want to know why I use cull rings? I use the above small puncture system and don't yank the fish around. I seldom catch a fish larger than 4 pounds in a tournament. I used to not use cull rings, but I got tired of getting stuck with fins trying to catch a damn bass in my livewells.

I bought a small handheld trout net to get bass and crappie out of my livewell. Works great.

19. Member
    I have a set of the accucull and it works well on fish over 2lbs. Under that, they come off about 50% of the time. I have also seen the little plastic clamps from harbor freight used with floats attached, may try that soon.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

I use my xtools cull tags. Wish they still made them.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast