X7 Spitfire vs Powertech PTR3

I swapped out props to see if there are better props for my Ranger RP190. I bought a Powertech PTR3 20P cheap and tried it out. Hole shot was basically the same, but the bowrise with the PTR3 was about a foot higher than the X7 Spitfire. Handling was not even close. The X7 Spitfire had a much smoother ride and less squirrelly. The PTR3 lifted the boat higher out of the water than the Spitfire. Too speed goes to the Spitfire at 53 mph and the PTR3 at 50 mph.

With a tournament load of about 100 lbs, 2 people at 400 lbs, and full livewell, the props were pretty close in top speed with the Spitfire at 48 mph and the PTR3 at 47 mph. Hole shot went to the PTR3. The Spitfire was sluggish and not even close to the PTR3. Handling went the the Spitfire. The ride is just so much smoother and stayed hooked up in turns. One thing I noticed is speed did not increase with the Spitfire X7 once 48 mph was reached and the rpms at 5600 and then trim up for more rpm to 6000. I have noticed the PTR3 gets better fuel economy. Maybe it's because it lifts the hull higher out of the water, I'm not sure. I fished 3 bass tournaments on 16 gallons of gas with this prop. The Spitfire X7 almost ran out of gas after the second tournament.

Overall I'm real happy with my Ranger RP 190. Solid boat and handles so much better than my previous boat, a G3 1860 CCT Deluxe. This is the best boat purchase I think I have ever made. I think I'm going to utilize both props depending on how much weight is in the boat. Light loads will use the Spitfire and heavy tournament loads the PTR3.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225

2. Banned
    I'm doing the same thing for my Triton now. Alone I'm running a Rogue 4 Blade 5000 rpm @ 39-40 rpm. With a passenger I'm running a PowerTech OST3 16 pitch w/cup added 5100 rpm @ 38 mph. My motors optimum is 5000-5200, so the 4 blade bogs down to 4850 with a passenger, in hot weather. The Power Tech runs to high (5300 rpm) alone and causes the motor to stutter.

3. Member
    I'm surprised that the 4 blade lifts less than the three blade. I'd raise the motor 1/4" per run and see what that does. To me, the large difference in fuel economy suggest engine height.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    I'm surprised that the 4 blade lifts less than the three blade. I'd raise the motor 1/4" per run and see what that does. To me, the large difference in fuel economy suggest engine height.
    I was surprised too. It's not even close. I took my family fishing today and the bow rise getting out of the hole is tremendous. I had the jack plate all the way down and the motor trimmed all the way down and it looked like the water line was even with the cowling taking off. Trimmed it up, raised the jack plate some, and wide open we got up to 48 mph with a tailwind. The boat lifts so much higher with the PTR3. It may be due to the PTR3 having more cup and rake than the Spitfire. Too bad it doesn't get the speed and handling of the Spitfire. I'd like to find a prop that gets the speed and handling of the Spitfire X7 and the lift and fuel economy of the PTR3.

I have been thinking about getting more cup added to the Spitfire to see if it will ride higher like the other prop.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225

5. Member
    Four blades are surface runners. That amount of bow lift on a CC indicates the motor is too low at startup. I would advise marking the plate where you're getting the current performance level. Then raise as stated above until the prop starts blowing out. I went through the lift thing with my Laser II, adding some cup. Lift is fine, now, but I've lost 400rpm and the hole shot sucks. You have less options with the X7 because the next pitch down is 19", and you're at the WOT recommendation of your motor with the 21".
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

The bow raise with the PT prop should be better. If that's what you want. The X7 is somewhat of a stern lifting prop. For getting the hull up on top. With your pad hull, I don't think it's the best prop. With that PT, it should perform better. Like mentioned earlier. Put your jackplate all the way down, to start with. Keep moving up in 1/4" increments until you find the spot that gives you the least amount of bow lift. With no blowout. Mark that height and your good. You would need to do this with each different prop you use.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

7. Member
    That's good to know. Thank you for the advice. I have another bass tournament tomorrow night. I'll raise the jack plate each time we leave to a new location to find the best hole shot. I'll also be on the lookout for a 21 pitch PTR3 or Turbo 1 to see if I get the same performance as the Spitfire X7.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by model70man View Post
    I swapped out props to see if there are better props for my Ranger RP190. I bought a Powertech PTR3 20P cheap and tried it out. Hole shot was basically the same, but the bowrise with the PTR3 was about a foot higher than the X7 Spitfire. Handling was not even close. The X7 Spitfire had a much smoother ride and less squirrelly. The PTR3 lifted the boat higher out of the water than the Spitfire. Too speed goes to the Spitfire at 53 mph and the PTR3 at 50 mph.

With a tournament load of about 100 lbs, 2 people at 400 lbs, and full livewell, the props were pretty close in top speed with the Spitfire at 48 mph and the PTR3 at 47 mph. Hole shot went to the PTR3. The Spitfire was sluggish and not even close to the PTR3. Handling went the the Spitfire. The ride is just so much smoother and stayed hooked up in turns. One thing I noticed is speed did not increase with the Spitfire X7 once 48 mph was reached and the rpms at 5600 and then trim up for more rpm to 6000. I have noticed the PTR3 gets better fuel economy. Maybe it's because it lifts the hull higher out of the water, I'm not sure. I fished 3 bass tournaments on 16 gallons of gas with this prop. The Spitfire X7 almost ran out of gas after the second tournament.

Overall I'm real happy with my Ranger RP 190. Solid boat and handles so much better than my previous boat, a G3 1860 CCT Deluxe. This is the best boat purchase I think I have ever made. I think I'm going to utilize both props depending on how much weight is in the boat. Light loads will use the Spitfire and heavy tournament loads the PTR3.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I’d ask anyway since I’m contemplating between the PTR3 and Spitfire X7.
    Did you ever try the PTR4? I ask because it’s suppose to be a “ bow lifting prop” according to Pwr Tech and
    it may give better handling in mid range cruising. Might be Pwr Techs answer to the SpitFire.