Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

opinions on charger boats

My son is moving to Hot Springs Ark, and since he will be located up there, we were looking at boats that might be made further North.
    The Charger 797 seems to be a well made and good looking boat.
    I was wondering if you'll knew of any dealers up that way, and can you get a 250 Yamaha SHO on it rather than Honda.
    In short, what do you think of your boat?

I have a Skeeter down here in Fort Worth with a great dealer service program. I love my boat.
    But this one will be a Charger unless there are some real negatives.

I think the service in the area you live in is very important.
    Thank you'll in advance
    Tom

2. Member
    797 is in my opinion the best bass boat made. Got mine last July so its still new to me but have always had Chargers so I knew what to expect. You can get any engine you want . Dealer service is nice for the motor. Not much will ever go wrong with the boat. Charger factory is great to deal with just call them and they will help in any way they can.

3. Member
    thx for the reply
    I thought they had disappeared for a while. Is that true.

4. Banned
    If your looking for Trouble free for your son start Researching the 250 Pro Verado or 300 Pro Verado, it weighs only a couple more than a SHO once you factor in the Steering system and is Bullet Proof, they dont break, and talk about Great to drive with the DTS and Power Steering......

I'm running a 797 with a 250 pro xs. The boat is a beast. Great in rough water, sits flat and rock solid when fishing, tons of storage. Definitely need to ride in one before you decide on a new boat.

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Happy 797 owner here!!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merconly View Post
    If your looking for Trouble free for your son start Researching the 250 Pro Verado or 300 Pro Verado, it weighs only a couple more than a SHO once you factor in the Steering system and is Bullet Proof, they dont break, and talk about Great to drive with the DTS and Power Steering......
    So that Verado steering system accounts for 120 lbs of weight difference from the 505 lb SHO to the 635 lb Pro Verado. Original poster already stated wants a Yamaha, assuming he has one on his Skeeter already, and knows how bad ass the SHO truly is.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooner496 View Post
    I'm running a 797 with a 250 pro xs. The boat is a beast. Great in rough water, sits flat and rock solid when fishing, tons of storage. Definitely need to ride in one before you decide on a new boat.
    What kind of speeds are you seeing sooner496? Just curious to know.

9. Member
    Yep, we want to stay with the 250 SHO. My one year experience with it has been excellent. It is a beast of an engine. Hole shot is the best, and with me, son, two grandsons and all of our gear, it will still hit close to 70 mph. By myself, about 73. The ZX 250 is a big heavy boat but it moves it!
    I would have bought a Charger, but we don't have options for good dealer service in the D/FW area to my knowledge.

10. Member
    J&J Marine in Alba near Lake Fork is a Charger dealer. I bought my 496 there in 2014.
    2014 Charger 496 / Merc 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by procraftokie View Post
    What kind of speeds are you seeing sooner496? Just curious to know.
    Loaded down will hit 70-71 running a 25 power tech 4 blade. There's definitely more speed there, it's a rocket out of the hole with this prop!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTx496 View Post
    J&J Marine in Alba near Lake Fork is a Charger dealer. I bought my 496 there in 2014.
    J&J has a good reputation for service but they never have any new Charger boats in inventory, They have a 2014 demo that would be a good buy for someone with only 5 hrs on the Merc 250. They are still 2 1/2 hrs away from me, thats the bad news.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooner496 View Post
    Loaded down will hit 70-71 running a 25 power tech 4 blade. There's definitely more speed there, it's a rocket out of the hole with this prop!!!
    What engine?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west tex angler View Post
    J&J has a good reputation for service but they never have any new Charger boats in inventory, They have a 2014 demo that would be a good buy for someone with only 5 hrs on the Merc 250. They are still 2 1/2 hrs away from me, thats the bad news.
    Yeah it was a 4.5 hour drive for me since no one sells Charger close to me either. I got lucky and they had mine in stock. Definitely need some more dealers to step up and start selling them.
    2014 Charger 496 / Merc 250 Pro XS

What engine?
    250 Pro xs

16. Banned
    The SHO is a great Engine as long as broken in Correctly, if he has a Skeeter he knows how to Break in that 4.2liter Bad Boy......Im A.D.D. so sometimes miss info, ha ha ha. Yamahas are great, So are Evinrudes, Hondas and Suzukis....

17. Member
    they are all good, its just what you get used to

18. Member
    My son is moving to Hot Springs Ark, and since he will be located up there, we were looking at boats that might be made further North.
    The Charger 797 seems to be a well made and good looking boat.
    I was wondering if you'll knew of any dealers up that way, and can you get a 250 Yamaha SHO on it rather than Honda.
    In short, what do you think of your boat?

I have a Skeeter down here in Fort Worth with a great dealer service program. I love my boat.
    But this one will be a Charger unless there are some real negatives.

I think the service in the area you live in is very important.
    Thank you'll in advance
    Tom
    I will be on Lake Quachita for the 4th July if he wants to see a 797 up close.

Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    So that Verado steering system accounts for 120 lbs of weight difference from the 505 lb SHO to the 635 lb Pro Verado. Original poster already stated wants a Yamaha, assuming he has one on his Skeeter already, and knows how bad ass the SHO truly is.
    They are much closer in actual weight than the 120lbs that is the perceived difference.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrod87 View Post
    I will be on Lake Quachita for the 4th July if he wants to see a 797 up close.
    Thanks a lot. That might work out for us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast