Motorcyle later in life

I've been thinking about getting me a motorcycle. Not interested in the Harley Davidson style of
    Bikes. Looking more into a sports bike but they all can kill you. I'm no longer in my twenties and
    wanted to knowi f anyone else has done the same this late in life?

What is or considered to be a super bike? I've seen this Irish road race and my ultimate goal is to be able to ride at a high
    skill level and one of my buddies suggested that I only ride at the track .....you thought?

Motorcycles are kinda like guns, learn how to use them correctly and respect them. I have never seen a motorcycle kill anyone. Its the guy riding it does something stupid or someone in a vehicle does something stupid.

If I had no riding experience I would buy something small like a 600cc bike and take a riding course.

Do you mean the Isle of Man race. That is for the ultimately insane rider. Super bike, 1000cc or larger I believe. I have never driven at high speeds since my younger days. Even then it was nothing like the capabilities of the 1 liter bikes. Sense of survival prevents such activities for most of us in our later years. Bouncing around on the ground at 100 plus MPH hurts (even with good protective gear). There is a reason most motorcycle racers are of a young age.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    Do you mean the Isle of Man race. That is for the ultimately insane rider. Super bike, 1000cc or larger I believe. I have never driven at high speeds since my younger days. Even then it was nothing like the capabilities of the 1 liter bikes. Sense of survival prevents such activities for most of us in our later years. Bouncing around on the ground at 100 plus MPH hurts (even with good protective gear). There is a reason most motorcycle racers are of a young age.
    yes that is the race i was referring to.. But what the both of you said make plenty sense. I have a free riders course and I'd like to do it.. honestly I am conflicted as I love to fish more than anything. but Riding a motorcycle seems very fun.
    I am not as young as I once was and don't want to brake or lose anything. My gut tells me stick to fishing as does my wife, but its something i'd like to try out.

5. Member
    I am 75 (soon to be 76) and still put over 10,000 miles a year on my bike. Just got back from another trip to the Smokies .

Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    yes that is the race i was referring to.. But what the both of you said make plenty sense. I have a free riders course and I'd like to do it.. honestly I am conflicted as I love to fish more than anything. but Riding a motorcycle seems very fun.
    I am not as young as I once was and don't want to brake or lose anything. My gut tells me stick to fishing as does my wife, but its something i'd like to try out.
    I had my MC permit when I was 17 years old. I lost my license at the age of 19. After earning my car license again a year later I had no means of retaking my MC test. At the age of 50 I took a Motorcycle Safety Course and got my MC permit again. The thought of driving at a insane speed doesn't much cross my mind and longer. Now I do enjoy finding a nice country back road with some good twisties but I don't have to see how fast I can do them. I do enjoy riding as the time to fish has seemed to disappeared. A hour or two MC ride gives me my down time. I just can't find the 4-5 hour minimum that it took to make a fishing trip.
    If you don't want a Harley Cruiser style bike and decide not to go the crotch rocket route but want something that handles the twisties with some agility, try out a Sport Touring style bike. Kind of like a grown ups crotch rocket. The rider position is a bit more straight up.

Definitely take the rider's class. The info provided in invaluable to helping your keep the shiny side of a bike up. Don't overpower yourself with a bike that is too big for your skills even if it means trading up in a year or two. Statistics show the biggest increase in accidents and fatalities comes from the older crowd who decide to start or get back into riding. Unfortunately, we outnumber the young and dumb by a wide margin in that area. Good luck.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

8. Member
    I've had my MC license for 32 years. Rode all the time from high school through college. A few years back, I got another motorcycle and then traded it off after about 3 years of riding again. My editorial comment is that it is twice as hard to ride now because so many yahoos are texting, talking, and driving which makes it a bit more dangerous in populated areas. You have to really pay attention and ride defensively to stay safe. Expect drivers to not see you and do something real stupid around you.

Regarding the style of bike. The supersports can be uncomfortable for riding longer periods. You want to consider how much weight is being transferred to your arms in the riding position. If you look at this one:
    https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/fz6r
    You will see that it is a more upright position (more comfortable) but has a supersport styling. As someone else said, the minimum would be in the 600-650cc range. You want enough power/acceleration to get out of the way if something happens. If you get something larger in the 1000cc range, know that you need to be very careful starting out which really goes for any choice. Motorcycle's power to weight ratio is very different and regardless of size, can get away from you quickly.

Take a safety course and spend a lot of time riding side streets or in less populated areas before you put yourself in heavy traffic situations to build up your confidence.

9. Member
    Look at all of them! If you have your MC license take a few for a spin, the sport tour is a more comfy ride. I had a sport tour and a Goldwing, I kept the Wing. You might also look at the Adventure bikes, I would like to have one but the wife says she won't ride on an Adventure bike.
    Mike

2019 Alweld 1960jc vv
    2014 Mercury 250 ProXS with Jet - Ser.no 1B827207
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor

2015 Alweld 1856jc flat OLD

The PROBLEM!!! is not the motorcycle but the clowns on the road are the PROBLEM! That don't look watch or care. When you ride you have to ride with your head on a swivel. I've been riding for 44 years and it's just not as enjoyable as it was at one time because of the clowns. I ride hard and fast at times and never been down on the street but the clowns scare me.

Do all the classes and a good helmet. Find a cheap but good small 500-600cc Jap bike and learn and ride and enjoy for a year or two. When and if your ready IMHO the Honda GL1800 is the best road machine. There as a very few others but it is the Big Dog Nice one. Nothing on the market is a real match. It's just right!

Feel free to contact me directly and I'll be happy to help you.
    Last edited by Rick H; 05-22-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

11. Member
    To me, the ultimate superbike is a Suzuki Hayabusa GSX 1300R. Love it but don't know where I could "stretch it's legs" on a regular basis. 188mph speed a beautiful.

I love to fish AND love to ride. I have a 2014 Harley Street Glide and in one of my saddlebags I always have two to three Blazer Alegra Mini Spin IM-12 collapsible spinning rods & Shimano Stradic CI4 reels with a few lure & a bunch of plastic worms & hooks. You can do both ride & fish new areas if you choose almost any motorcycle. Never had a superbike but it would be fun. Problem for me is I enjoy "time in the saddle" & do not worry too much about rain. Kinda feel a superbike would be tougher to ride in the rain. Also enjoy cruising in the country, feet up on the foot pegs, listening to music & having all my gear with me for any situation that could occur during the day or evening.

Agree with Rick H regarding Honda Goldwing, safety equipment & riding classes.
    Skeet'r89 has a great suggestion re. sport touring bikes. Wishing you the best.
    Harleytimes
    Triton SF21
    Honda 200hp

12. Member
    I just posted this on another thread:

I use to really love touring. 600 mile days were the norm. I have ridden 1000miles in a day and averaged between 12K-20K miles a year. Once rode 80 miles in one hour at 14 degrees F, just to set a new personal low temp ride. Rode 400 miles in 38 degree rain. On a tour weather was not a factor. Have ridden 138 mph and have been groovin' ridding the curves down Rocky Mountain passes. I loved to ride. Was one of the sport touring guys and have made friends from all over the country.

Now my advice. when you ride, wear the gear. I use to think one could ride without crashing as an adult. The old adage, "It's not if, but when you crash" was BS. After 100K+ miles of not going down I went down twice within 90 days. The second time was a 70mph high side and I slid about 150' down the asphalt highway. I was wearing full touring gear with a full face modular helmet. My left elbow did come through the jacket and I had a quarter size hole to the elbow bone. Can you imagine what my body would have looked like with out the gear? I would be dead. Without the helmet I would have lost the right side of my face. I DID break seven ribs and severed one of the rotor cuff tendons in my right shoulder. I have never totally recovered. I still have a torn rotor cuff (waited too long o fix it) and one ugly chest X-ray. I was 60 years old at the time and I sold the bike this spring. I'm now 65 and have only ridden a few thousand miles since the crash. I'm not too old to ride, I'm too old to crash and frankly got tired of gearing up. Another crash (it will happen) and maybe I would no longer be able to fish or walk. Not really afraid of dying, just being more crippled than I am.

My excitement comes from a 70mph bass boat and my air in my hair (don't really have much hair)comes from dropping the top on my Miata.

If you ride, ride ATGATT. (all the gear all the time).

Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post

If you ride, ride ATGATT. (all the gear all the time).
    I agree with this statement.
    But one time when I stopped for a break there were a few Harley riders there and I was wearing the normal boots, gloves, air-jacket and pants. They were sitting there looking at me and I said hey what up and their reply was "What you waiting on an accident?" and I replied "When I can stop time to put on my gear is when I stop wearing it" All I got back was a stupid look. Now before I get flamed I'm not saying all HD riders are like that I know better just he stupid ones are. STUPID HURTS! Yes, sooner or later your going down! Might be your fault and most likely won't be. Be prepared and it will hurt less.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!